TOT TV adverts

I'm not feeling too well so a Saturday watching crap on TV

Why are Morrisons advertising items that are at least 20% cheaper elsewhere, including my in local (usually expensive) Tesco and Sainsbury's local small corner stores? Are consumer so stupid that they don't realise that Morrisons is so expensive?

Why cannot the adverts aimed at pre-paid funeral plans agree on what an average funeral costs? The claims for a nation average cost vary by almost 2:1 depending on the advert. I do wonder if when PPI claims come to an end the ambulance chasing legal companies will start with miss-sold funeral plans? Do any of the celebrities pushing these "heads we win tails you lose" plans have one themselves?

Why does every rip off financial service offer M&S vouchers for signing up and why does a 1 inch high Christmas pudding from M&S cost £12?

Reply to
alan_m

Morrisons is a supposedly upmarket supermarket so cost tends not to be the driving factor . Lidl/Aldi , Tesco/Asda < Sainsburys < Morrisons

In this case average ? typical for that region . I would imagine the average for funerals in the North is half of that in the south/London. So it would very much depend on where the head office of the funeral company or even where the parlour was based as to what an 'average' funeral costs.

The ROFS wants to associate itself with the perceived value of the M&S brand ?

Because some think M&S Chritmass puds are worth that sort of price?

Reply to
soup

When I rung round the S Yorks undertakers to organise my dad's funeral I found that prices varied with the area each firm was based. The one in the poshest part of Doncaster (yes this area does exist) was far more expensive than the ones in the mining villages.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

been in a similar boat :/ I will not however watch tv. I'll bore you on usenet instead.

99% of adverts are aimed at the stupid. Surely you've noticed.

they're strictly for people that know they can't save up for a funeral, ie the poor.

M&S have an image to maintain. It doesn't need to be realistic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

IME Tesco finestpants range beats the others listed on food quality, some of the time anyway. M&S is roughly comparable - both are overpromoted & the prices inflated to lead people to think they're better quality than they are. Neither are anything remotely special. If you want quality, these days you need to make it at home.

Next on the quality list is probably Aldi. Prices are low & they don't have a reputation for quality, but IRL they're better than Sainsburys, Asda, Lidl etc. But Aldi lack the range of any of the others.

Then there's Sainsburys. Meh. At the bottom are Asda, bigger meh, Lidl, meh and Co-op, bit worse than Sainsbury. Iceland... maybe comparable quality to Asda.

Waitrose... like Sainsburys but with the worst lines removed and very inflated prices. Definitely for the more money than sense crowd. The reductions can be good value if you happen to pass at 5pm.

Not been to Morrisons, Budgens, Littlewoods, Kwikspend et al in too long to comment.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Because it pretends you are worth it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All of the above pretty much "meh", or not dependent on individual taste.

Reply to
Richard

You mean Parkys insurance no longer gives away free pens? Blimey. Have have you given to save the Snow Leopard yt? What about the war in Yemen, they need your dosh as well. Too much day time telly can send you insane bankrupt or both. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've no idea ....why do multibuy items cost ?1.50 each or two for ?2.00 when they should only cost ?1.00 each?.......... why are cans of diet coke sold in confusing multi pack combinations where you have to work out the price per can?....could it be to extract as much dosh from the customer?.......

Reply to
James Stewart

budgens came to Paisley and lasted a few months due to their high prices ......

Reply to
James Stewart

I find due to overload I have no toleration of any adverts these days.........

Reply to
James Stewart

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

When we first moved here (rural Aberdeenshire), we were fairly horrified to find the local supermarket is Co-op, with a larger Co-op 10 miles away, but the nearest 'big names' 45 miles away.

We have been pleasantly surprised. We accept, living in a village, the Co-op is not huge so does not have the range of a vast Tesco or similar, but still a fairly comprehensive range and their 'Finest' range is as good or better than Tesco. It has to be said the local Co-op is far better than it was 10+ years ago, possibly because of indirect competition, in that at least two of the giants, including Tesco, will now deliver to this area.

Co-op seems far more a part of the landscape in Scotland than England where I agree it is less popular.

Reply to
Graeme

well, it's all mass market cost cutting food, despite the pretences otherwise.

Sainsburys TTD lemon pie is particularly awful. JS TTD chocolate is worse than Tesco value & Aldi everyday essentials. M&S ginger chocolates contain so little ginger it's not even noticeable. etc etc etc. M&S like to come up with things that sound good, but contain so little flavour they're not worth bothering with.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I find that Morrisons is not necessarily expensive and I think their bakery is about the best of all the supermarkets. (Admittedly it must be 10 years since I bought a bakery item that wasn't yellow-stickered).

Asda I find pricey, and poor quality, but it seems to appeal to the fat people I see wobbling around (some of whom get staff discount). I'm sure Asda will be the first to introduce powered trolleys .

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'll quote from another post of yours in this thread: "99% of adverts are aimed at the stupid. Surely you've noticed."

I have never eaten one of any items you have just referred to.

Reply to
Richard

Not IME . The pricesticker (on the shelf ) usually has a cost per kilo/can/ea etc as well as total cost for the item, saves all that (in my case dodgy) mental Arithmetic.

Reply to
soup

But they sometimes add to the confusion by showing price per kg for loose items and then price per 'each' for items in packs.

Reply to
Mike Clarke

Are you serious?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Doesn't most of the labelling on the shelves give the costs per unit of volume or weight? To allow you to do a direct comparison? Usually in the smallest print, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)