TOT TV adverts

I'm not feeling too well so a Saturday watching crap on TV
Why are Morrisons advertising items that are at least 20% cheaper elsewhere, including my in local (usually expensive) Tesco and
Sainsbury's local small corner stores? Are consumer so stupid that they don't realise that Morrisons is so expensive?
Why cannot the adverts aimed at pre-paid funeral plans agree on what an average funeral costs? The claims for a nation average cost vary by almost 2:1 depending on the advert. I do wonder if when PPI claims come to an end the ambulance chasing legal companies will start with miss-sold funeral plans? Do any of the celebrities pushing these "heads we win tails you lose" plans have one themselves?
Why does every rip off financial service offer M&S vouchers for signing up and why does a 1 inch high Christmas pudding from M&S cost £12?
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 17/11/2018 22:27, alan_m wrote:

Morrisons is a supposedly upmarket supermarket so cost tends not to be the driving factor . Lidl/Aldi , Tesco/Asda < Sainsburys < Morrisons

In this case average ≠ typical for that region . I would imagine the average for funerals in the North is half of that in the south/London. So it would very much depend on where the head office of the funeral company or even where the parlour was based as to what an 'average' funeral costs.

The ROFS wants to associate itself with the perceived value of the M&S brand ?
> and why does a 1 inch high Christmas pudding from M&S cost £12?
Because some think M&S Chritmass puds are worth that sort of price?
On Saturday, 17 November 2018 23:15:22 UTC, soup wrote:

t they

up

IME Tesco finestpants range beats the others listed on food quality, some o f the time anyway. M&S is roughly comparable - both are overpromoted & the prices inflated to lead people to think they're better quality than they ar e. Neither are anything remotely special. If you want quality, these days y ou need to make it at home.
Next on the quality list is probably Aldi. Prices are low & they don't have a reputation for quality, but IRL they're better than Sainsburys, Asda, Li dl etc. But Aldi lack the range of any of the others.
Then there's Sainsburys. Meh. At the bottom are Asda, bigger meh, Lidl, meh and Co-op, bit worse than Sainsbury. Iceland... maybe comparable quality t o Asda.
Waitrose... like Sainsburys but with the worst lines removed and very infla ted prices. Definitely for the more money than sense crowd. The reductions can be good value if you happen to pass at 5pm.
Not been to Morrisons, Budgens, Littlewoods, Kwikspend et al in too long to comment.
NT

All of the above pretty much "meh", or not dependent on individual taste.

On Sunday, 18 November 2018 08:02:32 UTC, Richard wrote:

hat they

ng up

2?

me of the time anyway. M&S is roughly comparable - both are overpromoted & the prices inflated to lead people to think they're better quality than the y are. Neither are anything remotely special. If you want quality, these da ys you need to make it at home.

have a reputation for quality, but IRL they're better than Sainsburys, Asda , Lidl etc. But Aldi lack the range of any of the others.

meh and Co-op, bit worse than Sainsbury. Iceland... maybe comparable quali ty to Asda.

nflated prices. Definitely for the more money than sense crowd. The reducti ons can be good value if you happen to pass at 5pm.

well, it's all mass market cost cutting food, despite the pretences otherwi se.
Sainsburys TTD lemon pie is particularly awful. JS TTD chocolate is worse t han Tesco value & Aldi everyday essentials. M&S ginger chocolates contain s o little ginger it's not even noticeable. etc etc etc. M&S like to come up with things that sound good, but contain so little flavour they're not wort h bothering with.

g to comment.

I'll quote from another post of yours in this thread: "99% of adverts are aimed at the stupid. Surely you've noticed."
I have never eaten one of any items you have just referred to.

budgens came to Paisley and lasted a few months due to their high prices ......
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

When we first moved here (rural Aberdeenshire), we were fairly horrified to find the local supermarket is Co-op, with a larger Co-op 10 miles away, but the nearest 'big names' 45 miles away.
We have been pleasantly surprised. We accept, living in a village, the Co-op is not huge so does not have the range of a vast Tesco or similar, but still a fairly comprehensive range and their 'Finest' range is as good or better than Tesco. It has to be said the local Co-op is far better than it was 10+ years ago, possibly because of indirect competition, in that at least two of the giants, including Tesco, will now deliver to this area.
Co-op seems far more a part of the landscape in Scotland than England where I agree it is less popular.
--
Graeme

Are you serious?
--
*You're never too old to learn something stupid.

Yes, but I had a bit of a brain fart and 'said' Morrisons when I was thinking of Waitrose.

Ah. Don't use Waitrose very often since it tends to be down to convenient cars parks etc with me. But did the other week, and was surprised to find out how much more the branded goods I wanted were than in Tesco. A particular yoghurt I like was 1.50 a pot, but always 2 for 2 quid in Tesco. Nothing I was after seemed to be on offer - only full price.
--
*Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

He's probably from up North.
Morrisons are very big up North; where there are very few if any, Waitroses or Sainsbury's.
They also worship Paul Copley as a god.
michael adams
.

I've only ever been in one. Certainly didn't appear upmarket to me. Just poor value.

--
*IF A TURTLE DOESN'T HAVE A SHELL, IS HE HOMELESS OR NAKED?

As Supermarkets go it is regarded(by some) as fairly upmarket. Here's Stephen Fry implying it is upmarket compared to Sainsburys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
pVFwEoXh0
On Sun, 18 Nov 2018 15:40:27 +0000, soup wrote:

And anyway Sainsbury's are in the process of being taken over by ASDA (another northern based supermarket - Leeds) who are the UK arm of US WalMArt company.
On 18/11/2018 15:02, michael adams wrote:

Well sort of, but not English.

Already posted that I was thinking of Waitrose when I was waffling about Morrisons.

Do they? Soto Voce :- Psst, who's Paul Copley?

Paul Copley has been doing the voice-over on Morrisons TV commercials for a couple of years now.
The above is the only possible explanation.
michael adams
On 17/11/2018 22:27, alan_m wrote:

When I rung round the S Yorks undertakers to organise my dad's funeral I found that prices varied with the area each firm was based. The one in the poshest part of Doncaster (yes this area does exist) was far more expensive than the ones in the mining villages.
Bill
On Saturday, 17 November 2018 22:27:54 UTC, alan_m wrote:

been in a similar boat :/ I will not however watch tv. I'll bore you on use net instead.

99% of adverts are aimed at the stupid. Surely you've noticed.

they're strictly for people that know they can't save up for a funeral, ie the poor.

M&S have an image to maintain. It doesn't need to be realistic.
NT
On 17/11/2018 22:27, alan_m wrote:

Because it pretends you are worth it
--
“It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of