TOT TV adverts

Yes, but I had a bit of a brain fart and 'said' Morrisons when I was thinking of Waitrose.

Reply to
soup

Why after the sugar tax did the price of BOTH diet and full fat coke rise so in many supermarkets there is no difference in cost so no incentive to buy the zero sugar versions?

(I actually prefer the taste of an own brand cola costing 42p for 2 litres)

Reply to
alan_m

Ah. Don't use Waitrose very often since it tends to be down to convenient cars parks etc with me. But did the other week, and was surprised to find out how much more the branded goods I wanted were than in Tesco. A particular yoghurt I like was 1.50 a pot, but always 2 for 2 quid in Tesco. Nothing I was after seemed to be on offer - only full price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Also they will give the price per 100g or 100ml for item A and on the adjacent label for item B it will be the price per Kg or Litre. It's usually the cheaper item priced per Kg/L to make it look at first glance (or to those who cannot divide by ten) as if it's more expensive.

Reply to
alan_m

He's probably from up North.

Morrisons are very big up North; where there are very few if any, Waitroses or Sainsbury's.

They also worship Paul Copley as a god.

michael adams

.
Reply to
michael adams

I've only ever been in one. Certainly didn't appear upmarket to me. Just poor value.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well sort of, but not English.

Already posted that I was thinking of Waitrose when I was waffling about Morrisons.

Do they? Soto Voce :- Psst, who's Paul Copley?

Reply to
soup

As Supermarkets go it is regarded(by some) as fairly upmarket. Here's Stephen Fry implying it is upmarket compared to Sainsburys

soup

I always think price per 100g is because they're embarrassed to admit the price per kg

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Not for deals such as the bit you snipped, "multibuy items cost £1.50 each or two for £2.00", where the price per kilo/can/ea etc would be given for the single purchase of £1.50 It makes assessing multibuy value for money very difficult to work out.

Reply to
Fredxx

Interesting you say that, I find my local Sainsbury's own baked bread very dry in comparison with Morrisons.

Reply to
Fredxx

Maybe I snipped that bit as I wasn't commenting on that.

I was merely stating that there was (usually)information on the 'shelf price sticker' that meant you didn't have to "work out the price per can".

The machinations of supermarket pricing and the psychological tricks employed to make you (TINY) pay their 'demands' hold very little interest for me.

Reply to
soup

Why does any couple depicted have to be a happy mixed race one when in real life they are not actually that numerous .

GH

Reply to
Marland

I once challenged Sainsbury's, before they cut back on multibuy offers:

"I am puzzled about the way you organise your multibuy pricing, when there are larger or multipacks also available. To look at particular examples from my regular shopping list:

For quite a while you have had an offer on Sainsbury's Muesli Fruit and Nut 750g "Buy any 2 for £4.00", which still works out

2p more expensive than the 1.5kg pack, making your on line flash "Save Money" impossible to justify.

On the other hand, you have recently changed your offer on Sainsbury's Pure Apple Juice "Buy any 2 for £1.50" which makes it

40p cheaper to buy singles instead of your 4 pack.

It is clearly not always best to accept the offer, nor always to go for the bigger pack.

Is this just some strange marketing ploy taking advantage of the fact that not everybody has the time or inclination to do the maths? "

After a few unsatisfactory emails, their final response was:

"Some of our customers prefer to purchase smaller pack items whereas other customers prefer multibuys. By having various offers available this allows our customers to make an informed choice when shopping."

I contend that those lacking time, inclination or ability to do the maths will certainly not be able to make an informed choice.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

totally

they are able to. That they don't bother is their choice. Foolish assumptions are widespread when grocery shopping. For the innumerate, a £1 calculator can save £1 numerous times over - though they might not realise it.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Well ain't that a fact. Everything from Climate change to Nuclear Power to Brexit, most people just go with the propaganda^H^H^H^H^H marketing.

It's amazing how many people who consider themselves intelligent and independent minded quote 'facts' that turn out to be wrong, but have appeared on the media in some shape size or form,

Only a week or go I believe a retraction and admissions of a serious maths error that completely invalidated a paper on 'there is more heat hiding in the ocenas than we thought' was published..by the originaing journal.

No such retractions have been published by the esteemed rags such as the Guardian who headlined the latest 'climate scare' findings.

My sister, who livs in Germany, is firmly convinmced that Germany is green because it has shut down all nuclear power and has so many windmills and solar panels. In fact it has more nuclear power than the UK and emits more CO2 per capita, per nation and per MWh than any other country in Europe!

She also thinks that Chernobyl killed tens of thousands of people from radiation. Not the 50 odd it actually has.

In politics and marketing, reality is irrelevant. All that counts is what people think. And that is dominated by their exposure to a tissue of lies controlled by those who can afford to buy the media and the politicians.

It's ALL faux news.

What cash you have left after they have taxed you 'for the best possible reasons' they will persuade you to part with.

My inbox is full of offers for products I never knew I didn't want and certainly don't need.

"If you dont read the news-papers you are ill-informed. If you do read the news-papers you are mis-informed"

"In general you can trust the newspapers to be correct except on the one subject that you actually know something about".

I have found the only way to be reasonably sure of not getting gulled is to simply ignore all offers, deals, and WHY and simply buy the minimum of what I need from the least nationally advertised supplier.

And assume that if a politicians tells me it's 'for the good of the country' (or the planet) its certainly is not to my advantage.

Being an amateur philosopher who has concluded that morality is simply social convention, helps. I am immune from moral arguments.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Another misleading advert seen very early this morning. I woke at 5am and just turned on the TV while having breakfast and morning coffee. A teleshopping advert advert for a ROXi music (internet streaming) box happened to be on.

The voice over and text said no monthly ongoing subscription for the music content.

Yep that's true. The small print: subscription is yearly at £55 and is included for "free" for the first year in the £99 purchase price.

The box itself looks like an Android media player similar to those sold on Amazon for £30.

Reply to
alan_m

Paul Copley has been doing the voice-over on Morrisons TV commercials for a couple of years now.

The above is the only possible explanation.

michael adams

michael adams

And anyway Sainsbury's are in the process of being taken over by ASDA (another northern based supermarket - Leeds) who are the UK arm of US WalMArt company.

Reply to
Martyn Barclay

It's being heavily promoted as the new 'norm'. Does anyone here remember the Blue Mink record which included the words 'coffee coloured people by the score'? I bet it's not played on air any more!

Reply to
The Other John