Subject Author Posted Replies

bayonet lampholders
I've had several of these break when the lamp is inserted. Especially the ones moulded from bakelite. They are then useless and have to be replaced. It's only the UK that uses them, and I can see them...
35
35

Best kind of paint for plywood that will be walked on
Evening all, I've repaired the top of a step inside my house with a section of plywood. The step is the threshold from what used to be the garage into the hallway. It is wooden and got so tatty that I...
5
5

Intruder alarm suggestions
Many years ago..... (about 8 or 9) when we re-wired the house I put in lots of intruder alarm wires in anticipation of finishing all the other jobs before I die.... I've cabled to each bedroom for PIR...

Vinyl subfloor prep
Laying vinyl over laminate - most of it is pretty good, but there's a secti on where some metal (not removable) protrude by about 2mm. I'm going to cover the laminate with 3mm hardboard, pinned down -...
5
5

TV Aerial Question (Calling Bill Wright)
Nearly every day my Panasonic TV starts up with a message that there are "new channels" available. I allow it to scan if I have time but usually to no avail - usually I cancel the message. Do you know...
9
9

Changing an MCB
Victorian house converted into flats 20 years ago, communal areas have chandeliers each having 11 x 25w incandescent candle lamps, controlled by electronic time lag switches. First floor has 2 x...
7
7

Not very admirable insurance. OT
I'm with Northern Rock since sometime last summer IIRC, I got in touch with the company that found my original insurance (IIRC Compare the and they showed a change of company would be ideal. As always...
1
1

Earth to light fittings
Is it now a requirement that wiring to light fittings includes an earth? I have seen lots of lighting circuit cable that is just live and neutral. If it is now a requirement any idea when it became...
6
6

Testing CH protector strength - Fernox
I'd like to be able test if more protector is required but the 60 second test strips come in 50s at £20+ and it appears you also need a test tube with 10ml markings ??? Not sure that bit's right. Can...
4
4

Door Bell Transformer
Most I have seen run rather warm, so must be more than 1 W?
61
61

Gas pipes on house wall- copper
Seen this next door to a friends today. Looks really horrid. ASAIKS it's allowed under building regs! Would you have it on your house?
12
12

Clamping voltage on surge protector?
I've got a few cheap micromark surge protectors, and noticed they have a clamping voltage of 650V. Anyone know where I can get a much lower one? I've heard of protectors as low as 270V, but I can't...
104
104

Off road motorbike regulator
On an off roader the regulator has two terminals that connect directly to the lighting and the power relay coils. I am guessing that this is there to disable the power when the engine is not running....

Claening a laptop fan - Dell Inspiron 1764
First, Google found and watching this you get to about 9:30 before the fan removal starts, by which time virtually everything else has already been removed. AFAICS there is no immediately obvious way...
49
49

Backdraught flap - make my own?
My bathroom extractor fan doesn't have anything to stop draughts coming in when the fan isn't working. I could get something like: but I was wondering why not just get a large soft drinks bottle, cut...
7
7