Best kind of paint for plywood that will be walked on

Evening all,

I've repaired the top of a step inside my house with a section of plywood. The step is the threshold from what used to be the garage into the hallway. It is wooden and got so tatty that I just covered it with a new piece of p lywood which I primed 3 times and am now ready to paint.

For a piece of wood which will get walked on, should I go satin wood or glo ss? Ideally it needs to be wipe clean for ease of cleaning.

Or something else?

Thanks in advance. Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

IME 2 options:

Gloss paint, topped with Ronseal Hardglaze varnish. Very tough, but needs a week to cure (IME).

The other option is floor paint - but buying in tiny quantities might be tricky.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think I might tile it.

Reply to
stuart noble

Didn't even consider that. But too late now as the wood is down and glued/pinned into position.

Regards Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

Thanks for that. Will probably go with the gloss and varnish option.

Regards Jon

Reply to
Jon Parker

In that case, make sure both parts are polyurethane as that is the combo I know works (and probably why it took a week to cure because of the extra thickness).

This was on floorboards with chairs (back in the day when carpets were square and not fitted, this was around the edge).

Reply to
Tim Watts