TV Aerial Question (Calling Bill Wright)

Nearly every day my Panasonic TV starts up with a message that there are "new channels" available. I allow it to scan if I have time but usually to no avail - usually I cancel the message.

Do you know what causes the message to come on? Is it due to a drop in the signal level during the night or is something being sent out from the transmitter?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Its probably in the TV software and will be because you've not set it to auto-scan when on standby or at any fixed time. At a guess if you set it to scan at 3.00 am each day the message will disappear. Because the TV hasn't had a chance to scan the default error message will be "new channels available" just to be on the safe side, even if there aren't any.

This timed autoscan option will probably be buried deep in the menus.

I have an LG DVD tuner recorder which switches itself on out of standby at 3.00 each day, presumably to check if a rescan is necessary And there's no option to turn this off - only set it for a specific time while switched on.

I've owned this thing for nearly two years, but because I'm not usually awake at 3.am I never realised this was happening.

michael adams

michael adams

My Panasonic DVD PVR does the same. I thought it was because the signal is too strong but I'll have to investigate Michael Adams' response.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

It's happened to mine over the last week.

The problem is that the signal strength for some of the channels has dropped too low for them to be picked up on the scan, so immediately after the scan, there are still new channels available, because it couldn't pick them up on the last scan.

This was just on some of the more obscure channels, but this morning, it's hit BBC1, 2, and news24. They broke up so much I did a rescan in case they changed to a different UHF channel, but now they're gone completely, and guess what, there are new channels available! Well they're the ones it can't currently pick up.

I presume there's some messing around with the transmitter at the moment. Normally the signal strength for most of the channels is high for me.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Her LG lost all it's channels for some reason yesterday. I blame putting computers into TVs. The TVonics lost everything last week, I reckon it's endemic.

Reply to
Capitol

It can also be due to the increased transmit power post digital D-day resulting in sidelobes of your aerial picking up remote stations. Most of Manchester is plagued with older Panasonic TVs that left to their own devices would replace the default channels 1-5 with their Welsh language equivalent even though aerials are pointed at Winter Hill.

You can disable the "message when new channels are found" option in the menu and then force a manual rescan when you find something missing. It is usually just some new fly-by-night shopping channel anyway.

The fix in Manchester is to unplug the aerial until autoscan gets past ISTR channel 45.

Have a look in the ?800's and you may find that the good SNR channels have been relegated up there. That is what happens on my parents set.

Disabling the message is a fairly effective fix. eg. Setup/Tuning/New Channels

The problem arises when another set of channels at a lower frequency come and go with the ebb and flow of the tides (or whatever it is). The older sets are rather dumb and put first found rather than most geographically local or strongest signal in the default master channels.

Reply to
Martin Brown

I have a Panasonic too. I get the message maybe two or three times a week on the Freeview (but not on Freesat) Moreso in bad weather, I think the signal strength has something todo with it.

But TV channels seem to be appearing and disappearing regularly too.

Mostly I just cancel it when it appears.

Reply to
harryagain

Martin Brown wrote in news:4%0Pu.8864$ snipped-for-privacy@fx26.iad:

Thanks - message disabled now.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

No, it's because it's a PoS.

Reply to
Huge

Google this and you find lots of people with different Panasonic kit asking the same question over several years. At least one person thinks its a bug in the firmware. (I turned the message off on my PVR/DVD now.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson