Right TV aerial?

Hi,

My mother is having her chimney breast re-rendered. This will involve taking down the TV aerial which is currently strapped to it. Given that it's 30 years old, and was never much good in the first place, it seems like a good time to put up a new one. Luckily it's a bungalow, so I hope there'll be no Rod Hull incidents.

She's not exactly a high-end user. She does have a freeview box these days which she likes, and obviously she needs to be ready for the digital switchover. She's in sunny Southend (SS2) where the digital signal is currently marginal. She does currently get a digital signal, but some channels are a bit shaky.

I was going to add a TV aerial to my next\Screwfix order. I'm inclined to go for this one complete with masthead amp:

might I be just as happy with this one (no masthead amp, therefore a bit easier to install, and a bit cheaper):
'm aware of the need for decent CT100 cable. I was planning on getting some of this:
advice or tips from those who've been there gratefully received.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

Repost in uk.tech.digital-tv and ask for Bill Wright.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

Whilst I'm sure that many people on this group can and will give you a good answer, I would recommend that you ask the question over in news:uk.tech.digital-tv maybe marking it ATTN: Bill Wright - he's an aerial rigger supreme and a very helpful guy.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

In article , Peter Crosland writes

Yes Mr Wrights the man:)

look's like a Maxview and should be avoided Triax and Antiference are much better makes from CPC:)

Use a good quality CT100 type cable and aerial height is a very good thing.

That said, you don't or aren't, always best served by a Wideband aerial sometimes if you can use one a grouped aerial is a better bet.

Any idea which transmitter you use?. There you could use Crystal palace from Sarf lunnon or possible bluebell hill from the other side of the Thames estuary or possible Sudbury in Suffokle?....

Reply to
tony sayer

If the aerial points at Crystal Palace a Blake DMX10A may be a better option.

(High gain Group A aerial)

I bought one from

on Leigh on Sea

(Not that I live anywhere near there!)

Reply to
Michael Chare

Thanks for advice so far. I am going to seek out Mr Wright in uk.tech.digital-tv.

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

I paid over £150-00 for a new aerial two years ago and it has made some difference to the TV set I have in my hobby room, but not much to the main TV downstairs. What makes matters worse, is a very tall tree that is growing in the line of path, about 2/3 hundred yards away, to our local transmitter. When it rains, downstairs TV struggles to get a signal. When it more than rains, it does not work at all.

In retrospect, I wish I had gone for a basic dish that lets you watch the free channels from the satellite. I believe it costs about £100-00 to buy and whatever to install.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Also Televes...got two from CPC and they are both great!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Trust this link works...

>In retrospect, I wish I had gone for a basic dish that lets you watch

Can be even cheaper than that if you DIY it!....

Reply to
tony sayer

Bill Wright has given you the best advice over on uk.tech.digital-tv.

Dave

Reply to
gort

I'd probably avoid a banded aerial. No-one knows what is going to happen to frequencies after the changeover.

I live in a fairly weak signal area and went for a Televes DAT75. Only problem with it is the size, although they do a smaller DAT45.

The DAT75 totally maxes out the signal level on every multiplex, though. You could probably get TV on Mars with it.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

So far I have not seen any proposal to change CP from Group A and digital switch over is not due for another five years os so. There was a draft plan/proposal published in uk.tech.digital-tv not long ago, and it showed CP remaining as Group A.

Reply to
Michael Chare

I think you will find that phase 1 is in 18 months time. South coast and Borders region are first, then rolling inland.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

experience.

Yes, I was in Maplin today and saw a DIY dish kit for £99-99. I might just be tempted later in the year. There was a satellite beeper (to find the signal) for £14-99. Cheap at half the price :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

In message , Dave wrote

If it was a Maplin's deal then you could probably find the same equipment for half of their price.

Maplin were never cheap but since they have become a 'toys for boys' outlet their products are even more expensive (even in the special offer 'sale' catalogues the send out).

Reply to
Alan

I was refering to Crystal Palace which serves London!

Reply to
Michael Chare

In article , Alan writes

Yes quite they do seem to have become quite expensive.....

Reply to
tony sayer

Point taken :-)

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The message from tony sayer contains these words:

Ten way mains adaptor I bought in a local shop for £8. Maplin, identical item - £29.99.

Reply to
Guy King

plan/proposal

Indeed. And then they might release the extra frequencies for HD on a different band in 10 years time. It only costs a dB or two to have a wideband, and it is very good insurance.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle