Waste pipe into drain

Hello,

can anyone recommend a way to get a waste pipe (from a kitchen sink) to feed into this drain:

would really like to do it without having to replace the terracotta (?) pipe. Is there some kind of connector I could get that would allow me to connect the waste pipe to the drain pipe?

All suggestions welcomed.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
danw

Assuming that the black pipe is a 4" soil pipe, then all you need is one of these:

one of these

?id=12228&ts=80257(depending on the kitchen waste pipe).

Reply to
Grunff

One of these

one of these
its a 32mm waste, or
if its 40mm waste.

Reply to
david lang

Hmm, looks suspiciously like a r/w downpipe to me, judging on the difference in size where it enters the earthenware, and I'd guess the earthenware goes to a soakaway. The pic looks more or less exactly like the arrangement on my property.

If it is a r/w downpipe, and it does go to a soakaway, then you shouldn't be draining grey water into it.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Firstly, are you sure it is a drain and not a rainwater pipe? You can't tell from the photo.

It is a serious offence to conduct waste water to a rainwater drain.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Exactly what I was going to say, I think the OP needs to clarify this before he gets boged down in the usual diy wild guess syndrome.

-
Reply to
Mark

Ok, I'll admit I am ignorant.

On the inside of the corner pictured in the photo is my kitchen. Currently, in that corner, hidden behind some old kitchen units, is an open drain where all my kitchen 'grey' waste goes! I assume this is connected in some way to the one outside pipe in the photo.

I want to seal off the existing open drain in my kitchen and route a waste pipe through the wall and into the outside drain. At present. it is not sealed in any way and smells. I understand that this is also against building regs.

At present, that drain pipe only handles rainwater and I do not know where it runs underground. Obviously, more investigation is needed.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
danw

danw wrote: Obviously, more investigation is needed.

Arse.

So, the rainwater drain does not feed into the waste drain. Meaning that I am left with only being able to feed my kitchen waste pipe into the hole in the floor of my kitchen.

As far as I can tell the waste drain that starts in the corner of my kitchen runs underneath my kitchen.

What's my next step?

dan

Reply to
danw

Find out were your drains run to, are they main or septic tank

-
Reply to
Mark

I assume they run off our property and into the main drains for the road. We certainly don't have a septic tank.

dan

Reply to
danw

OK So have you found a manhole/inspection cover, does the drain in the kitchen feed into this Were is the pipe for the bath/toilet, were is the stack/stink pipe in relation to the kitchen.

-
Reply to
Mark

|Mark wrote: | |> Find out were your drains run to, are they main or septic tank | |I assume they run off our property and into the main drains for the |road.

If so they will run to a manhole or inspection chamber somewhere. Find it, raise the cover, and get someone to flush your toilet to prove that you have got the right one. Some modern houses have two drains, one to the sewer and one for rainwater only into a local stream.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

If it get into and pollutes a waterway they *will* find out, and costs (as well as fine) involved in cleanup will be recovered from the perpetrator.

Reply to
<me9

Sorry, I should have been clearer.

I have two manhole/inspection covers at the side of my house. I ran a test to see what fed into what. The kitchen sink, understairs washbasin and upstairs bathroom all run into the same drain. I could see the water running when I opened up the covers.

The rainwater drainpipe visible in the picture did not feed into the drains that I uncovered. I tested it using a hosepipe. I don't know where that goes. I have no other visible inspection/manhole covers.

Can anyone enlighten me on the open drain in my kitchen. Can I do anything about this?

Cheers, Dan

Reply to
danw

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> If so they will run to a manhole or inspection chamber somewhere. Find |> it, raise the cover, and get someone to flush your toilet to prove that you |> have got the right one. Some modern houses have two drains, one to the |> sewer and one for rainwater only into a local stream. | |Sorry, I should have been clearer. | |I have two manhole/inspection covers at the side of my house. I ran a |test to see what fed into what. The kitchen sink, understairs washbasin |and upstairs bathroom all run into the same drain. I could see the water |running when I opened up the covers. | |The rainwater drainpipe visible in the picture did not feed into the |drains that I uncovered. I tested it using a hosepipe. I don't know |where that goes. I have no other visible inspection/manhole covers. | |Can anyone enlighten me on the open drain in my kitchen. Can I do |anything about this?

You can *only* put this into the same drain as "The kitchen sink, understairs washbasin and upstairs bathroom" You can *not* put it into the rainwater drain.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

It is a rainwater pipe. You cannot put your sink into that in any circumstances.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

I assume that your house is quite old. If it isn't then I'd guess that someone has done some extending and not sorted the drains out properly. I'd start with the Local Authority, especially if it is an old property. Grants are available to modernise properties, and on what you're telling us, it seems you would have a good case to get a grant, but I'm no expert on the subject.

If it's an extension and someone has done a bodge job, you could be looking at a lot of expense and upheaval.

Reply to
The Wanderer

On Thu, 02 Feb 2006 15:03:33 +0000 someone who may be danw wrote this:-

Presumably these covers are both on the same drain?

Probably into a soakaway, or rainwater drain. The kitchen sink should not be connected to either.

This should be connected to the external drain via a trap. You can check that there is a trap with your arm, wearing a rubber glove if you prefer.

Any smell probably comes from grease and the like adhering to some part of the drain. When did you clean it last?

Such drains are very useful, as one can brush water into them. However, they are not particularly good for kitchen waste (perhaps unless converted to a back inlet gully).

To do the job properly you probably need to spend money, perhaps to provide a suitable drain or stack somewhere.

Reply to
David Hansen

David,

thanks.

David Hansen wrote:

Yes.

I think it is, though it was and will be covered by kitchen units. This is my main issue with it.

It's had some bleach poured down it but I haven't been able to get to it to give it a proper clean yet.

if you can access them!

dan

Reply to
danw