I need to seal brass BSP parallel threads - what sealant should I use?

I have to make some thread seals on brass BSP parallel threads that have no flange, o-ring or fibre washer seal in the design.

There seems to be quite a range of thread sealants available. My application is in the outlet of a shower valve leading to a wall elbow which requires that I have to seal four thread fixings. Can anyone suggest the optimal sealant / technique?

Reply to
Peter

Don't know about the optimal but I just had a success with plumbers hemp and boss white on a threaded joint that PTFE wouldn't seal.

Reply to
shaun

hi, the best way to seal these threads are PTFE tape. apply tape in clockwise direction, about 8 to 10 wraps round threads, will give you good seal

-- pacer

Reply to
pacer

Loctite Threadlock Blue or

david lang

Reply to
Badger

Loctite 511

Reply to
Badger

Fernox LSX. Any plumbing shop.

jim

Reply to
Jim

"Jim" wrote in news:1129756948.429788.63910 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I just *love* that stuff; I've used it for 2 years on DHW cylinder, rad tails, remaking compression joints on tricky stubs of necked pipe, never a weep, only takes seconds.

And it's proved to be idiot proof!

mike

Reply to
mike ring

Totally agree and anyone still using PTFE is wasting their time when they could and should be using LSX.

jim

Reply to
Jim

...and Badger wrote ... ?

Reply to
Peter

Not on a parallel thread it won't. PTFE needs some compression.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I've used "Atmos Threadseal", bought in on a late Sunday afternoon panic attack in Homebase (why do I always try plumbing on a Sunday?)

Claims to be good for both water and gas.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dodd