Parallel/taper BSP threads

I have a fancy mixer tap to fit for a friend. Its 3 connections are all 1/2" BSP parallel female. Should I use parallel or taper males?

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Three? Hot, cold and ...?

The obvious answer of using ordinary tap connectors is presumably not valid? AFAIK you should never mix parallel and taper threads, so I'd suggest parallel.

Reply to
Andy Wade

The output -- the mixer doesn't include a spout - that's a separately fitted item.

No - ordinary taps are male, not female.

OK, thanks.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

OIC, it's a valve, rather than a tap :-)

Ah, sorry, I misread you to mean female connector required on pipe end (with image of a normal tap spigot in mind).

Reply to
Andy Wade

I presume you mean these connections are in the body of the mixer? I have just bought such a tap but it was provided with extension pipes, with, presumably, 1/2" BSP parallel threads on the end. As the thread shoulders up to the (15mm) pipe, there's an O ring. Are you certain there is nothing missing?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I hate threaded connections.. just done eight in a bathroom. PTFE tape and matching parallel joints is the correct way, but I never seem to get the correct amount of tape resulting in a leak or near impossible to screw up, gas PTFE tape is easier IMO as its thicker.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" wrote

If the seal is supposed to be made by the threads themselves then they should be tapered and PTFE or Boss White should be used to seal. As another poster comments, parallel threads should be accompanied by either a fibre facing washer or (as in the case of the modern mixer taps) a rubber "O" ring.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Liquid PTFE is great for this

've had 100% success.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> I've had 100% success.

Looks like loctite thread seal to me.. Not PTFE in any shape or form.

Reply to
dennis

There may be something missing. Apparently it was cheap because it was the display model with no box (or instructions).

I've bought 3 compression to 1/2" parallel adaptors.

It's probably going to be a while before I fit it though; friend currently has a tiler tiling the room and he's positioning every tile individually with a spirit level. Apart from being rather slow, he's doing an excellent job though.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Ah. In that case almost certainly. Most taps provide either a female tap connector or a 15 or 10mm pipe. For a display these would have been chucked with the box in a corner and lost. With the tap I have the box was halved diagonally by the packing, one half open with the tap in and the other covered and the pipes were in the covered bit!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

>>> I've had 100% success.

No idea, but it works a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I bought a tub of Boss Supergreen with PTFE. Not tried it yet.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Whilst I agree that liquid PTFE resin is an excellent aid for making screwed and compression joints (and IMHO much better than tape), the non non-sense version comes in a standard small squeeze bottle, which is hard to use. As the bottle get half empty then extracting a few drops becomes harder and harder. The loctite product in the red "bellows" tube is a joy to use and works out cheaper because you can put a controlled amount on each joint, and because you can use 80%+ of the bottle.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

It's OK for sealing compression joints for potable supplies where you shouldn't use Boss white, and also for sealing annoying waste pipe unions that persist in leaking despite their washer etc. It's not a lot of use for thread sealing though.

Reply to
John Stumbles