TV recorder

Might be OT.

Growing bored of Netflix offerings and previously recorded stuff on my broken Topfield (close coupled transistor failed on the tuner input and I don't have skill/patience to replace) I have decided to invest in a replacement box!

My TV is an LG 32LM6300PLA which has a built in capability but requires external USB storage about which I know nothing:-(

Alternatively purchase a replacement Topfield/Humax or?

Viewing i phone videos etc. is not a requirement.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

FWIW I'm one of a surely growing number that have totally given up watching films and drama/fiction on TV. I'm not that entertained by people constantly screaming at each other or plotting criminal acts.

There is plenty of other content out there on services from YouTube, Odysee to Nebula, etc...

Documentaries, News, History, Crafts... erm, D-I-Y ....

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If you have a TV which can run apps such as ITVX, iPlayer, Channel4 etc you can view old programmes. This certainly reduces the need for a PVR. If I use the Channel 4 app I can watch the first 2023 Formula 1 race without the adverts. Even my PVR recording still has he adverts.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Indeed. I avoid watching recent action films but can enjoy re-watching John Wayne and even older Westerns.

I'll watch a U-tube repair breakdown or something that has been pointed up in here but find TV repair/furbish stuff very formulaic.

Is that daytime TV:-) I've got an acre of farm barns and half acre garden to play with.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The very nice thing about the Topfield was the ability to fast forward through the adverts:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

My Humax allows me to jump forward in a programmable period, say 15 secs.

Reply to
Davey

Well not quite the same here - I like a nice murder, but pretty much given up on all BBC and ITV . Seen just anbout all the Marple and Poirot I can handle and the new output is super woke and unwatchable,

But Talking Pictures, Film 4 and Great Movies [Action] still come up with the odd watchable film

Yup.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

For a PVR I would suggest any box that can run Vix. See

and

There was someone on Toppy.org called Andy Fraser who used to mend Toppys if that is of any interest. If you send me an email I could tell you his email address.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Talking Pictures showed/shows all the old Maigret films. I remember those from my childhood. :)

Reply to
GB

I was like that for years but with the dearth of anything worth watching in our summer lull in Jan which we get every year, did watch Line of Duty and didnt regret watching that.

Not plenty imo, I found it hard to find enough in our Jan lull.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Many Topfield user migrated to the Enigma 2 boxes running OpenVix. Most of the Enigma boxes are more suited to (free to air) satellite (Freesat content) but there are a few with terrestrial tuners. Openvix has many/most of the features of Mystuff although implemented in a different way. fast forwarding or jumping over the adverts in delayed play mode or recordings is easy with Openvix. There is a learning curve with the setup and some technical knowledge is an advantage but day to day you will probably only use a few buttons on the remote.

Openvix

Enigma 2 boxes (most are enigma 2 boxes - the description of individual boxes will confirm)
least a dozen different manufactures at different price points and specifications but even those at the £100 mark well exceed the specification of a Toppy. An additional hard disk is required to make it a PVR. The physically larger boxes will support internal large hard disks but the physically small boxes require a external USB hard disk. Enigma2/openvix supports recording to network drives.

Openvix/Enigma2 user support group

alan_m

I'm a Topfield user who migrated to the Humax Aura Freeview box, which has three tuners, skipping the ads by configuring the keys on a Logitech Harmony universal remote. Unfortunately while the Aura is still available, 1Tb and 2 Tb models, Humax appear to have lost interest it it and Logitech have given up on programmable TV remotes although I suppose that there must be other makers.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I knew this would get technical. Current service is Crystal Palace on a boosted conventional aerial.

A dish would work here if high enough to see over the neighbours 2 storey garage!

I have those details, thanks. ISTR they had to be posted to Southampton or thereabouts. I dare say a local computer fixer could do it. I have the parts. I have an idea the problem stems from the supply to the aerial booster finding a way though the aerial system.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

perhaps?

video showing how

not sure why you think this would be a facility..

The built in PVR in my LG works OK. Not as nice as my BT Freeview box but OK.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

On 09/03/2023 14:41, Tim Lamb wrote: >

Reply to
R D S

At a glance that set up looks outside my technical competence:-( I already have i-player and my daughter currently shares her Netflix account (for how long!).

Is terrestrial TV going to see me out or should I be getting a dish? The last installer here blew up the Toppy:-(

Current ambition is to save and time shift some of the afternoon output.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Peter Johnson snipped-for-privacy@parksidewood.nospam writes

Humax is the fall back plan. High definition seems to need a lot of storage. Currently I revert to channel 75 (60's pop) for the ad break. Being forced to watch ads would be a set back!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Powered from the TV?

Looks possible. My LG manual doesn't cover this activity.

I don't but wifi capability is marketed on almost everything else!

Ah. My button set has Rec, Fast Forward, Play, Pause and fast rewind together with a square symbol button, purpose unknown. I have yet to find a use for any of the 4 coloured buttons!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

BBC Red Button.

Reply to
Davey

Some SD is now broadcast on HD MUxs - that's why the Toppy with only SD tuners is missing some channels. The Toppy design must be around 20 years old. After very many years owning a Toppy I switched to an Engima

2 box in 2014.

Approx 2Gbytes per hour for HD - these days 1Tbyte disks are cheap (500 hours of HD recording).

500G drive approx £30 1T drive approx £50/60

A PVR doesn't require a high performance drive. A slower 2.5" drive running at 5400rpm (rather than 7200rpm) will run quieter and cooler.

Reply to
alan_m