What kind of flower might this be?

It looks a little like a Hollyhock, about four feet tall, just started putting out these big yellow blossoms. The leaves look unlike any hollyhocks I've grown previously. Any idea what it might be? Thanks Photo here:

ncstockguy

Looks like a hardy hibiscus to me.

Fran

almost looks like okra.

Reply to
brooklyn1

A hardy hibiscus? Oh, that would be great. Haven't had those. I guess we'll find out if it comes back next spring in NC Zone 7.

Reply to
ncstockguy

It's not Okra, I grow plenty of that. Here is another photo of the mystery flower, shows the foliage a little better. Very distinctive leaves:

ncstockguy

I dunno anything about flowers; wait and see whether it makes okra because that certainly is what it looks like! Or, at least, _some_ kind of hibiscus.

Reply to
Balvenieman

I'm with those who think it looks like okra.

Reply to
Pat Kiewicz

It's a much flashier blossom than any Okra I've seen. But I will give it time and see if any pods show up. I am guessing they'll be seed pods, rather than edible Okra pods.

Reply to
ncstockguy

Here's a site for us to distinguish 'Hibiscus cannabinus' aka Kenaf and Okra:

though this is written in japanese, you can see the difference by viewing pics and their names 'Abelmoschus manihot' ('Hibiscus cannabinus' ) , 'Abelmoschus esculentus' (Okra).

i hope this helps. Ono

Reply to
Ono

here:

Fran

In message , Ono writes

The OP could browse

I'm also leaning towards Abelmoschus manihot.

But Hibiscus cannabinus and Abelmoschus manihot are not the same plant; as Hibiscuses go they're pretty distantly related.

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Abelmoschus manihot --- Bingo. I'd say you nailed it. Plant matches the images on several web pages exactly. Thanks for the info.

Reply to
ncstockguy