Trees to create privacy?

Can anyone give me any ideas on planting bare-root trees in the Autumn time that would grow tall (or could buy tall/fledged) that would be perfect for creating privacy??

We have just had a load of Llandii taken down that have grown tall, which blocked out the house overlooking our garden for privacy and also now let the light into our garden

We are now looking for something similar (not so thick as Llandii) that would create privacy but also block the windows that now seem to be peering into our garden and back of the house!

Would tree's like Ash be ok? do they grow tall for privacy?

Thanks for any advice

Reply to
buckman

Where are you?

Ash is too slow growing, are large deciduous trees, and don't do well growning close together... planting bare root ash you wouldn't live long enough to see any summer privacy even if you have the acreage to plant several rows.

One of the best screening trees is Canadian Hemlock.

brooklyn1

Reply to
ncstockguy

Not without knowing where you are.

David

Reply to
David Hare-Scott

We are in Notts UK, and have a large house, come hotel at the end of our garden, so anything that creates a screen but also lets a little sunlight in..? (at the end of the day as it will be west facing)

Reply to
buckman

Trees like ash are a real good idea for privacy.Their height does grow taller with time.....

Reply to
Hammad1

I think you mean you are in the middle interior of England, your lot runs east-west, and your west neighbor is a large house cum hotel?

So how tall does the vegetation need to be to screen out the neighbor? The neighbor's windows, to be exact. That's the target height you want, yes? As the neighbor is there year round, you want an evergreen, yes?

Too bad you took out the Leylandii; you could have cut them back. Did you pull out the stumps?

Una

Reply to
Una

How about Silver Birch?

I have been told these grow tall, fan out to create privacy and would do the job?

Anyone know the best place to get these from, bare root?

Reply to
buckman