small privacy trees

Hi Sorry if this off topic. Do you recommend any small tree (4-6 feet tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

Reply to
leza wang

that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toro nto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

It's hard to tell from the various pics you posted what the real objective is. If you want privacy then it has to be an evergreen. And you have a very small area to work with between the street/driveway and the sidewalk. So I don't know of a tree that will work. But I would think that an emerald green arborvitae would be a reasonable choice. Planted a few feet apart they will grow together and block out the view.

Reply to
trader4

Some yew variant?

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toro nto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

What do you mean by "land boards"?

Reply to
hrhofmann

can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

I suggest you visit a local nursery for suggestions. They will have trees and hedges that will do what you want and you can see what they look like. For privacy in winter, they should be an evergreen of sorts.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot. Are you willing to prune the trees to make a hedge? If so, any closely planted evergreen tree will do. Cedar, Douglas fir, what grows in your area? just plant close together and prune top and sides to create the hedge!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toro nto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

32&biw=1366&bih=602

But you will have to wait several years.

Reply to
recyclebinned

Lavender bush?

[image:

Lavender bushes do well even here in Manitoba, so they should grow well in a slightly milder climate like Toronto. Bumble bees love lavendar bushes because they have so many flowers. The bee doesn't have to fly around all day looking for flowers; he can spend a whole day just on one lavender bush.

Reply to
nestork

dont plant the whatever on the property line lest he neighbor sekks and the new one decides to put up a fence, and cuts down your plants.....

this happended to a buddy of mine who was very upset, he said but you always plant on the line. .....

Reply to
bob haller

It is really hard to match hollyberries (

) as a privacy barrier. They are evergreen and pretty much impenetrable once they become big enough. And they look pretty all year round, not to mention Christmas time :) Can grow higher than what you need but they grow very slowly, pruning them to size should not be a big burden. I live much further south than Toronto, ON but I think I've seen them there as well, or at least some hardened varieties.

Reply to
DA

tall) that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toronto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

More effective, quicker and probably cheaper in the long run to put up a

6-ft fence. And you may be able to get your neighbor to split the cost.
Reply to
Y'all Gibbons

I don't know if there are different species of lavender bushes(?)

The lavender bushes that grow here are taller and don't have quite as many flowers as shown in the picture.

When I was a kid, one of the houses on the street I grew up on had a whole bunch of lavender bushes growing beside their garage. Those lavender bushes taught me that if you don't bother bees, they won't bother you. All summer long there would always be lots of bees in those lavender bushes collecting nectar from the flowers.

Reply to
nestork

My sister planted a hedge five feet inside her property line for that reason - and also as a courtesy to the (rude, awful) neighbor, so the branches wouldn't create a nuisance by hanging over his property. What did that courtesy gesture get her? Several years later, the neighbor began constructing a massive garage that encroached onto her property. When she protested, he told her the hedge constituted the property line. She called him out on that because he knew better, but it suited his plans to claim otherwise. Her lawyer had to threaten to sue both the city and the neighbor before the city would do its job, read the plat map and survey report, and red tag the garage-in-progress. The neighbor had to do a hasty redesign of his garage. No sympathies there, he'd known he was encroaching but thought he could get away with it. And my sister had the hedge torn out and a fence built right on the property line.

In retrospect, trying to be the better neighbor worked to her disadvantage. I suppose she should've known better, since the reason she put up the hedge in the first place was that the neighbor and his family had the habit of using her yard as if it was theirs.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

[image:

Fences are good. I hope your sister or her attorney told him that by speaking up early she saved him having to spend demolition costs tearing it down and cut his construction costs in half.

Reply to
Guv Bob

It's quite amazing that it would be so hard to get a municipality to act on something as blatant as that. It's one of those black and white things. Either there is a min required distance from the property line for a new structure or there isn't. And if not, either the new structure is on the adjoining property or not. It would seem just a surveyor and having the code official come over would do it. But then, it is govt.....

I had a similar issue with a neighbor who was running a business and then piling up junk vehicles. All that I asked was that she put the junk stuff at the back of her property, where it joined woods, and would be mostly out of sight. Instead, she was piling it up right on the my property line. When she refused, I went over to town hall to the code enforcement guy. A few weeks went by and he had done nothing. I went over again to talk to him and he accused me of not even owning my own property. I said fine, let's go over to the tax assesors office, where I proved I was the owner. Even then, instead of apologizing, he was still an arrogan ass.

So, I had my attorney send a letter to the township committee, telling them to either perform their duties or we would sue. A couple months later, the matter was in court, the township having issued numerous violations to the pig. She and he attorney were there. I was greated by the prosecutor and the arrogant code official, who was now calling me Mr and Sir. And it wasn't just an issue of junk anymore. I also had her nailed for expanding uses on a non-conforming lot, by adding multiple businesses that she didn't even own that were added. Trial took one morning and upong being found guilty, piggy headed into the nearby bathroom and we all heard her throwing up.... All that, when just a wee bit of courtesy and she could have still been doing what she pleased.

Reply to
trader4

I made a mistake.

The kind of bushes that grow here are called "LILAC" bushes, not LAVENDER bushes.

(pronounced "Li-lock")

Here is a picture of a lilac bush:

[image:

It blooms in spring and has flowers similar in colour, shape and size to the lavender bush, but it's a much taller growing bush. Here's what lilac flowers look like:

[image:

Lilacs are perennials and they grow a new set of leaves and flowers every year. They're very common here in Manitoba.

I don't know what made me think those kinds of bushes were called lavender.

Reply to
nestork

I was wondering where they could grow lavender 5' tall! More like

15-18" :o) Just planted a bunch of seeds for lavender and a new lilac bush....big, big yard to change over to shrubs and flower beds and the shrubs I've planted look mighty small.
Reply to
Norminn

Our back yard has 2 sides of lilacs, alternating white and purple The only thing is you need to go in regularly and clean out the dead wood. It's a real bitch to do so. BUT, it does keep the shrubs healthy and producing bunches of flowers each spring. You can also use a hedge trimmer in the fall after the seeds are gone, to give it shape and control the height

Reply to
Attila Iskander

First, it's not off topic for this forum, since it is home repair related.

I don't know the answer to your question, but one person suggested checking out arborvitae.

If you go to

and do a search for arborvitae, you'll see tons of images of what they look like.

If it were me, I would also do a lot of looking around in my neighborhood and region to see what other people have for borders.

Another option may be some type of privacy fence, or maybe a low fence that defines the border but doesn't really create visual privacy..

Even though you want privacy, you may want to be careful that you don't put up or plant something along the side of your house that makes it easier for burglars and intruders to hide while breaking into your house -- just a thought.

Reply to
TomR

that I can plant to give privacy and enforce my land boards? I live in Toro nto, Ontario. Thanks a lot.

would a thuja bush survive there? we planted rows of them for privacy and they got about 4 ft tall in short time. and actually trimmed to shape them for a better look

Reply to
Robert Macy