Looking for truly small medicine cabinet

By small I mean about 12" wide by 16" high. Like this one, but recessed:

The problem with searching on small is the cabinet sellers have a different idea in what is small. They consider ones that are 20-22" wide to be small. I grew up thinking that 14" wide -- to fit between studs -- was the standard size and small means smaller than that. But apparently they have grown quite a bit over the years.

Is anyone aware of a truly small recessed one? The only alternatives I have are: (1) Skip the medicine cabinet and simply mount a mirror on the wall, or (2) Have a wooden one custom made.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

is that it isn't a worthwhile search phrase at all.

Searching on "14 wide medicine cabinet" found zillions...

Reply to
dpb

Don Wiss my ass ;)

Reply to
Frank

I know zillions exist. The problem is 14" wide is too wide.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

For a stud bay???? 16" OC - 1-1/2" --> 14-1/2" RO

Should be just what the cat needed...

Reply to
dpb

HD has one that 12 wide , but is 36 high. Would that work ??

Retired

But a search for "12 wide medicine cabinet" found a few less than zillions...but still several if that's what you really need.

Looks like most popular are 36" tall but Lowes has one from somebody called Nameek that's 18"

Nameeks 11-7/8-in W Recessed Medicine Cabinet

Item #: 432297 | Model #: GEDY 8007-02

Collection Name Lilliput Total Width (Inches) 11.8 Total Height (Inches) 17.7 Depth (Inches) 5.6 Finish Type White Manufacturer Color Name White Color/Finish Family White Interior Color Matches exterior Cabinet Material Plastic Adjustable Shelving No Shelf Material Plastic Door Type Single with mirror Beveled Mirror No Lights No Number Bulbs Required 0.0 Bulbs Included No Decorative Hardware Included No Mounting Hardware Included Yes ...

Reply to
dpb

I saw those. Absolutely not.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Nice little cabinet, except it is a surface mount according to the manufacturer's page:

The sink only projects 8 3/4" and I don't want a protruding cabinet looming over the sink.

I think what I want does not exist. Obviously I'm not going to be fitting it between studs, which aren't going to be spaced exactly where the sink will be. I would have to build a frame in the wall.

I think I'll give up and simply mount a mirror. This is a tiny powder room and I don't need to store condoms, cups, aspirin, anti-acid, tampons, etc.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Don,

Look at the picture, then look at the dimensions. That cabinet is not sticking out 5.6". It must be recessed.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

What's to keep from making the bay where it needs be?

The info at Lowe's where found it indicates it's recessed albeit the other page doesn't. Doesn't look like it would take anything but a drill and few white-head cabinet-mounting screws to make it recessed, though.

Can't believe a more exhaustive search wouldn't find quite a few others.

Reply to
dpb

Some here at Amazon:

The ones I glanced at are fairly tall though.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

You must live alone. A wife would fill that up with all her stuff, leaving you a small portion down in the corner for a few things of yours. damhik.:-)

Reply to
willshak

This is for a tiny powder room on the parlor floor. About 25" x 45". The ceiling is very high though.

The main reason to have it at all is home buyers expect a bathroom on every floor. And some day the house will be sold.

And we have already discussed what I could put in it for party guests or workmen. But none are essential.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Nothing.

The Croydex that I started the thread with also has incorrect information at the Wayfair site claiming it is recessed.

True. But that, and the Croydex, don't have the mirror or a lip protruding past the box. So one would have to have a very clean edge around the hole.

I have looked. As I wrote above, because it wouldn't fit between studs the manufacturers assume that there is no market for such a product.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

My 'powder room' on the main floor has a corner cabinet above the corner sink similar to this one, but I built my own.

Could you use one of these?

Reply to
willshak

I don't understand why any surface mount cabinet cannot be recessed. All you have to do is drill some holes on the sides and then shim the opening to center the cabinet in the space between whatever stud widths you have. I've done it a few times and no big problem if you can drill 4 holes and measure to the nearest 1/16". A few pieces of

1/4 round around the opening will cover any mistakes you make in measuring. Done that also.
Reply to
hrhofmann

There is a chase in the corner.

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

Okay. I'll see if the architect goes along.

While this thread was developing I've been looking at lights for the room. All I need is something over the mirror. I'm into minimalism. I like this one:

Though this would go better with the fixtures, which have cylindrical shapes:

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

ttp://

Americans need large medicine cabinets because of all the pills they need for their numerous mental problems.

Reply to
harry