Chicken coupe, small yard

Anyone ever built one?

I'm thinking just 2-3 chickens and would need to sell them back at winter or heat the coupe in winter somehow.

Reply to
cshenk

Before I got here, one of my townhouse neighbors had a chicken coop. The other neighbors didn't like it. After complaints and then a vote, they went into his yard and tore it down. Hard feelings ensued. They never did anything like that again.

We had a hard-top once.

Reply to
micky

In my area < sw Ontario > in recent years, the bylaws have been written and re-written to deal with urban chickens. Every municipality has their own take on it.

from outright ban :

to permit fees and regulations and limits :

I'm happy getting my eggs from a small hobby farm nearby - I think she has about 30 hens. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Look up "chicken tractor" , a type of moveable chicken pen with a small coop incorporated . No need to get rid of the hens in winter , a light bulb (incandescent) will supply plenty of heat for a small coop . It will also induce them to keep laying through the winter ...

Reply to
Snag

I live near Toronto, Ontario. I always wanted to own a small hobby farm. I am retired now so I can relocate anytime. Do you know how much money I need, and where I can buy one?

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Just a coop or a tractor?

That's overkill for 2 or 3 chickens but you might be aqble to scale it down or go for a simple A-frame version. The one we had when I was a kid was a good sized shed and definitely bigger than what you need.

Reply to
rbowman

Let's try this again ...

Look up "chicken tractor" , a type of moveable chicken pen with a small coop incorporated . No need to get rid of the hens in winter , a light bulb (incandescent) will supply plenty of heat for a small coop . It will also induce them to keep laying through the winter ...

Reply to
Snag

A quick Kijiji search for hobby farms - fill your boots.

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Something for every budget :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote on 3/5/2024 8:40 PM:

Thank you.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You don't have a rooster in residential. Around here it's actually illegal. (southside hampton roads) unless in a specifically designated agricultural area with a permit.

Virginia Beach is the only city that doesn't allow them in residential but we expect that to change. Limit apt to be 4 (or less), fenced area, and no roosters. As it is, many have them quietly in VB in residential areas.

Reply to
cshenk

I suspect we move to something like Kitchener.

I've looked at a unit that is small and the whole thing is on wheels. I doesn't have the ability to bury the fencing but rats can be controlled several ways with totally safe organic compounds and plants they really dislike.

Chrysanthemums Onions Rosemary Daffodils Black Pepper Peppermint

(I omitted some as not suitable due to size or climate)

Rosemary, green onions, peppermint in containers (solid lines of them) and spinkle black pepper and hot pepper on the ground. Shakeaway rodent repellent as well.

Reply to
cshenk

Looking at this:

cshenk

Even with the shipping that's got to be a lot cheaper than a trip to Home Depot. There's a company that builds sheds and I often walk past their lot. They have a tractor but I think it's around $300.

The one review said it was smaller than he thought it would be but unless they used bantams for the photos it looks big enough for three chickens.

Reply to
rbowman

It is. Right now it's just in my wishlist.

The write up says the same. I figured with that unit, 2 chickens.

Reply to
cshenk