Subject Author Posted Replies

Combined smoke and heat alarm
We're having a problem with false alarms from a smoke detector in a kitchen area. Would a heat alarm fix that? Or, better still, a combined smoke and heat alarm, well away from the oven? With a...
25
25

Have solenoid valve close gently
I have a 12volt solenoid that opens and closes a water valve. It opens the valve instantaneously which is great. I have it coupled up to a hose and sprinkler activated by a 12v PIR and use it as a...
20
20

Mains filters, inline, incorporated into multiway adapter or this MK product
is making my Denon DRA 455 Tuner amp lose its preset radio settings (FM). I have had a similar problem with a Smiths plugin 7 day electronic timer which I fixed by piggy backing it onto an ex-BT...
19
19

Sanding belts
I have a workbenck belt sander and need to get some new belts. I don't use it very often, so the ones that I had came apart quite fast, so I want to buy some new ones. The belt that came apart was 10...
5
5

DIY house build
Saw this the other night: (that is the time-lapse of the whole build - there are more detailed vids) Quite a number of innovative building techniques I have not seen elsewhere - including very heavy...
30
30

Selective weedkiller idea... sane or silly?
Hi, I have a lot of broadleaved dandelions on a lawn. I have wondered about mixing glyphosate with something sticky like syrup and then using a small paint brush to paint onto the leaves of the...
9
9

What is this camera?
Mounted on a street light recently gone up in my road
4
4

Screwfix Cockup (again)
As of 18:36 on Tuesday 20th September their online chat is giving the message: "As a mark of respect, our UK stores and customer service team are currently closed – we will be open from 6AM Tues...
2
2

Tory broadcasting.
Given this Tory government would like to see the end of public service broadcasting - like Ch4 and the BBC - wonder what sort a job their favourite, GB News, would have made of covering the funeral?
9
9

The future: DC mains
I love the Tesla irony, but this is a non-starter isn't it? AC/DC? - A much needed shock to the system It is the future. It is inevitable. So why not now? There will never be a more propitious time to...
126
126

How to use armoured cable
Hi All, I needed some cable to fit some outdoor lights. I was going to use pond cable but a friend gave me some armoured cable. I need to run it through a stud wall (timber construction clad in cement...
12
12

My mind wandered.
I don't wish to be disrespectful but I switch off when the Archbishop gets going. So, I started thinking about a problem I shall have in a week or two. I plan to buy an oak worktop. Standing on end it...
20
20

Woodscrew suggestions
Gentlemen, I need to extract some old fence posts that have rotted off at ground level (as they do). Most common extraction method on YT seems to be to screw a plate with a lifting eye to the old...
19
19

Funeral
If I went in to a church at 8:30 for a service that is due to end around 12:15 I'd have to take a bottle and funnel with me.
56
56

Protective coating for garden gate.
I'm making a chicken proof garden gate. To please the grandkids the components are being painted in a wide variety of colours. All of the paint is old stuff out of the back of the shed, being various...
6
6