Three lane roads ....

Well they're the experts. You - most emphatically (from this posting) are not. Leave it to them.

Yup. Got it in one. :)

Only in the UK can somebody obeying the law (and advice of every emergency services driver they know) be in the wrong.

There's a reason that there is no mechanism to challenge penalty points awarded when moving out of the way for an emergency vehicle. Very simple. You're not supposed to do it.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You are correct, sir. And if the PP states they were so directed, I happily apologise. However I suspect they weren't.

Bear in mind flashing lights and sirens are *not* an instruction from an officer. And emergency services driver training states that they should not appear to encourage cars to break the law.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Just like Rome, then - except that they keep the licence in the Vatican

Reply to
Terry Casey

Courts have ruled that they ARE an instruction when on a police vehicle, but not otherwise - hence people being prosecuted for moving through a red light to let an ambulance through, but not for letting a police car through.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Loads of three-lane roads around, eg:

jgh

Reply to
jgh

Noted ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Are those published judgments? I'm interested as I've not seen that distinction between police and other vehicles reflected in any guidance for drivers - including the guidance specifically on what to do and not do with blue lights behind from Blue Light Aware

They all refer only to the exception when a constable in uniform etc gives the driver directions.

Reply to
Robin

I can't find the case now, but it was in the past couple of years. The papers all went to town saying that people could be fined and receive points for going through a red light for an emergency vehicle. Indeed the bluelightaware site specifically refers to it and says that emergency vehicles should not use their lights and sirens when stuck behind traffic at ared light. The articles were all kicked off by a case where someone was done for getting out of the way of an ambulance and the the reporting stated that the judge stated that you could only do so on the instructions of a police officer, but also that lights or siren on a police car were telling you to get out of the way and were therefore an instruction from such an officer.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Ah ...

well citeless, I'll continue according to my previous view that you should not break the law to allow an emergency vehicle past. Although it's only really ever an issue at red lights where you are in danger of crossing the line with a camera which is probably a minority of cases. Most times it's simply slowing/stopping and pulling left to allow them to pass.

Reply to
Jethro_uk