Three quarters of women think they are as good as men at DIY

Apologies for the source, but:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028233/Three-quarters-women-think-good-men-DIY-study-finds.html
Discuss ;-)
--
Cheers,

John.

On 8/22/2011 6:55 PM, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028233/Three-quarters-women-think-good-men-DIY-study-finds.html
Only 46% will change a fuse? Only 79% can change a lightbulb? Since when does changing a _lightbulb_ count as DIY???
On 23/08/2011 00:06, S Viemeister wrote:

Quite often.
I change loads in offices & commercial premises. H&S!

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:53:33 +0100, The Medway Handyman

Yebbut that's hardly d-i-y innit.
--
Frank Erskine

On 23/08/2011 00:06, S Viemeister wrote:

Don't knock it. When I was in my 20s, it was being able to do things like that that got me accepted as a house mate by three air hostesses.
Colin Bignell
On 8/22/2011 8:00 PM, Nightjar wrote:

My daughter had two male flatmates. She was the only one with a tool-kit. The boys were totally useless at DIY. But she was raised by a mother and father who actually have a clue...
On 23/08/2011 01:22, S Viemeister wrote:

ISTR I was the only one in the house with a sewing kit, or the knowledge of how to use it.
Colin Bignell
On Aug 24, 3:12pm, Nightjar wrote:

My mother could use a sewing machine, but I was the one who had to thread it.
Owain
On 24/08/2011 17:54, Owain wrote:

I was always given the job of filling and fitting the bobbin in the shuttle.
Colin Bignell
On Aug 24, 6:46pm, Nightjar wrote:

Gawd, bobbins. I spent hours of my childhood sitting, turning the handle on the old Singer and pretending to be an electric motor.
I was also allowed to 'help' my father by sitting on things while they were sawed so they didn't move.
I think I'm grateful we never had a coal fire.
Owain
On 8/24/2011 5:25 PM, Owain wrote:

We did. One of my jobs was to sift the ashes for any unburnt bits.
On Aug 24, 10:37pm, S Viemeister wrote:

There's thrifty.
Did you also have to cut up squares of newspaper for the cludgie? ;-)
Owain
On 8/25/2011 3:32 AM, Owain wrote:

That would have worn the edge of the scissors. We _tore_ the newspaper into squares.

You don't know how lucky you are, we couldn't even afford the newspaper ;-)
On 8/25/2011 8:22 AM, whisky-dave wrote:

Yesterday's papers, from the friendly man at the local shop, were free-for-the-taking...

We used to collect them up and sell the ones we didn't use to the local recycling place, about 1/2d a pound IIRC
Owain wrote:

I got snapped repairing a tear in a pocket: http://pics.mdfs.net/2009/12/091206.htm Really, sewing is just basic life skills, like being able to cook or wipe your arse.
JGH

Nice jumper mate:-)
--
Adam

"Tha'll go down the pit like tha brother. And when tha finds him, tell him to come on up for dinner.
Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)

Joking apart this site makes for interesting and rather sobering reading as to what life was like for those who had to go down 't pit back in the good olde days of yore..
Not a lot of fun for the young ones it seems;!....
http://www.dmm.org.uk/mindex.htm
--
Tony Sayer