DIY dunces?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095063/DIY-dunces-Millions-men-idea-rewire-plug-change-lightbulb.html
It looks as if there's going to be a boom time for the 'Professional Handymen' then.
Don.
Following up to Don

25% cant change a fuse,jeez. Bloke next door is just like that, gets SWMBOs dad over.
(google groups killed because of spam)

M wrote:

Lovely Jubbly :-)
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

If I thought that I'd could make a living out of doing numpty jobs for people I'd join you
But I'm sure that I'd get more than my fair share of clearing out gutters and digging out trees.
tim
tim..... wrote:

Plenty of work about matey, even in a cwedit cwunch. You would be amazed.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

As my career as a (software) engineer appears to have hit the buffers, I could be competiting with you soon :-)
tim
tim..... wrote:

Tim. There is so much potential I wouldn't care if another half dozen started up in the same town as me. They wouldn't have the marketing savvy.
If you want any advice on starting up feel free to e-mail me direct. I'd be happy to give you any info & help you want.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I may take you up on that in about 6 months ;-(
Though I won't be in direct competition with you
tim
tim..... wrote:

You would be welcome to do so.

Nobody is locally.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095063/DIY-dunces-Millions-men-idea-rewire-plug-change-lightbulb.html > It looks as if there's going to be a boom time for the 'Professional

You could add in the person who set up that pic in the article.
No one in their right mind would use a power screwdriver for that task - far too much risk of damaging an 'ornamental' screw head.
--
*Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) unnecessary *

Don coughed up some electrons that declared:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095063/DIY-dunces-Millions-men-idea-rewire-plug-change-lightbulb.html
Sigh... On the bright side, the survey might have been drawn from Daily Mail readers...
For what it's worth, my Dad would tackle most things, slowly, but with a high degree of competance. Gas, electrics, woodwork (he'd change a rotton sill, not the entire window frame).
At the age of 4 I had some comprehension of bulbs and batteries. Learnt that that 90V hurt (valve radio battery).
At 6 I was allowed to dismember a broken valve TV. I could put a plug on flex from perhaps age 7 or 8 (2 pin lamp BC, round pin 2/5/15A and 13A. I rewired a garage under supervision at about 14. Fixed a brick wall (only a few bricks but it looked good and never fell apart) around the same time. Made soakaways, pedastal for a water butt, basic plumbing etc.
Think I was about 13 when I was charged with replacing the cam controller in a washing machine - had to label about 60 wires and get them back onto the new part in the right order. And it worked.
My daughter could work either a soldering iron or the solder quite well (but not both) at 4 years old.
Kids aren't stupid but you have to make the effort. I love taking mine down to the Bungalow, to show them what a building looks like in various stages of dismemberment. They get to see all the interesting things I buy like CUs, light switches and various tools.
I don't know if it's due to:
1) Both parents working, so less time and more inclination to get trades in;
2) People really are more useless;
3) Society is getting dumbed down and discourages from being self sufficient in the name of H&S.
Cheers
Tim
Following up to Tim S

increased affluence is probably a factor, with cars increased complexity and blackbox factor is too.
(google groups killed because of spam)

...and at the other end, we're well through a couple of generations of one parent families, where there's no tool box in the home, nor anyone who knows how to use one, so the kids are never going to have a clue either.
--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

For a time, my daughter shared a flat with a couple of well-educated males from intact families. She was the only one with a tool box - and she knows how to use the contents.
Sheila

Sounds like she has a mum who does have a clue. Sadly, not many do.
--
Andrew Gabriel
S Viemeister wrote:

I put together a basic toolkit for my daughter when she went to uni, she shared with 8 others & did all the odd repair jobs around the place.
--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

yesterday as I ran the streets of south London a female BT engineer was leaving a house with a fair bit of kit, the householder had obviously insisted on carrying her stuff to the van LOL. When he put it down after what looked an effort, she casually picked it up and tossed it into the van.
--
all thumbs

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1095063/DIY-dunces-Millions-men-idea-rewire-plug-change-lightbulb.html
Same with my dad, and I was very interested. Come to think of it, most of the tables in my parents house were made by dad - a couple of coffee tables and a large dining room table (which had to be built in the room, as it won't go through the doors).

Yes, I was playing with bulbs and batteries around then. For one of my birthdays (probably age 5 or 6), my dad went to somewhere like Proops or Henrys and bought half a dozen battery bulbs and holders, a doorbell and a door buzzer, some diodes, some switches and push buttons, wire and strippers, and a 4.5V battery. He got a small wooden instrument box and cut out some foam to store all the components in. I think that was one of the best birthday presents I ever had. Hours of fun with it by myself, and of course, very educational.

That's all very similar to me. I used to particularly enjoy visiting my grandparents. They had a box with lots of mains lampholders, wire, bulbs, etc, and I would spend hours wiring up circuits, and around age 8, I had a good understanding of wiring up bulbs in parallel and series, and what happens if you wire up dufferent wattage bulbs in series. This was all mains stuff, and before RCD's were around. Frankly, I'm amazed looking back that I was allowed to do this, but very greatful that I was. I didn't ever get an electric shock from it, although I did get a couple doing other things.

--
Andrew Gabriel

So, what cheap goodies would you put in the box today if you wanted to introduce a child to electronics etc? I'm sure most kids would be fascinated but, if your dad doesn't know what a diode is, what chance do you have? :-)
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:41:08 +0000, stuart noble wrote:

Just the same stuff, the basics haven't changed.

They are and are taught simple series/parallel light bulbs at primary school. I certainly wasn't, I don't think I was taught anything that could be even loosely described as "electronics" at school.

Getting given the box of interesting bits is the problem but once you have them books or the web will give the information required to play with the bits and experiment.
--
Cheers
Dave.