Rototiller Troy -bilt Pony 5Hp

Rototiller Troy -bilt Pony 5Hp won't start. It's been sitting all winter, and it just won't catch no matter how many times I pull it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Reply to
Michael

It's probably one of two things:

1) Gas isn't getting to the cylinder or 2) There's no spark.

Try this, get a spark plug wrench (or socket) and pull the plug. Is it wet? Does it smell like gas? If so, then you're getting fuel. Next, with the plug out of the engine, but still connected to the spark plug wire, ground the metal at the end of the plug (the part that 'curls' around the end) against the engine. Don't hold it, or you might get a jolt. Just find a way to prop it up so that it's grounded against the engine. Then, gently pull the cord on the engine. Is the plug sparking?

If the plug came out dry, then you probably have a clog somewhere in the fuel line. Make sure that the petcock is open for the gas. You'll probably have to pull the lines and make sure that they're clean. It might be junk in the float bowl of the carburator. Carbs can be fussy, so if you're not comfortable taking it apart, you might want to have a professional take a look at it. Or attempt it and then bring it to a pro if you can't get it going.

If the plug didn't spark, the first thing that you should try is changing the plug. However, plugs don't usually quit cold turkey, they usually just get weaker and weaker. However, give this a try first. If it's not the plug, then it's likely to be the coil. Especially if the tiller sat in a very cold environment all winter. As the coil contracts and expands from weather changes a wire in it can break, causing it to short out. The coil (coupled with a revolving magnet in the flywheel) is what creates the energy for the spark. A broken coil means no spark. Replacing the coil can be a bit involved, it usually means getting a wheel-puller and pulling the flywheel. Again, you might want to try a professional if you've diagnosed it this far.

Good luck, post a reply letting us know what you find out.

Tom

Reply to
Montego

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the ideas. I'm going to get to work this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

It started and works great. I was looking at how the carburator is put together so I can take it apart, and I saw an adjustment screw directly underneath the carb.

I tightened the screw 1 1/2 turns and pulled. Nothing. I loosened it 1 1/2 turns from its original position, and it started up and runs perfectly.

Mike

Reply to
Michael

Reply to