Three quarters of women think they are as good as men at DIY

http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/site/literature/royalcommissionreports /
Made after the Husker pit disaster.
--
Adam

In article

We did. And bringing in the coal from the cellar was 'men's' work. So as soon as we were old enough, my brother or me.
And having to get coal in from outside on a frezing day when you've been sitting by the fire makes you learn to do such things in time.
--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

On 24/08/2011 17:54, Owain wrote:

Mine could thread it and use it, but it was me who worked out how to do freehand embroidery with it ;-)
(i.e. how to disable the cloth push mechanism under the foot by moving the leaver someone had told mother never to move!)
--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028233/Three-quarters-women-think-good-men-DIY-study-finds.html
Three quarters of women can think?
--
Adam

On 23/08/2011 00:13, ARWadsworth wrote:

No, they only think they can.
--
Peter

On Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:13:22 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

Surprising, isn't it? Normally it's only the bit above the shoulders, which is more like 1/14th...
Jules Richardson wrote:

Oh don't be naive. Its mostly the bit between the legs for younger women.

No, that's what we think of three quarters of the time.
--
Adam

On 22/08/2011 23:55, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028233/Three-quarters-women-think-good-men-DIY-study-finds.html
Interesting that ;
"Female home ownership has grown, with one in five households now owned by single women".
I would say that 80% of my work is generated by females, with or without partners.
Either; partner is deceased, partner is useless, partner is bone idle or partner has left.

However, that could be because more blokes are prepared to live with the tap dripping, the bog leaking, most of the light bulbs blown, and the tiles falling off the wall.
Doesn't necessarily follow that blokes do more DIY.

Using the Yellow Pages handyman section because they don't know how to use Internet dating and have a thing about blokes in dungarees, leather tool belt and toe-tecs? ;-)
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 23/08/2011 09:53, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I should be so lucky :-)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028233/Three-quarters-women-think-good-men-DIY-study-finds.html
I would say they under rate themselves. There aren't many men that are good at diy.
On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:55:48 +0100, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028233/Three-quarters-women-think-good-men-DIY-study-finds.html
And the other quarter have actually tried doing DIY? ...
Oh, it's from The Wail - should've known.

I suppose it's a valid survey for B'nQ as it will guide them in whom to attract to their stores. The weakness with the survey is that it will have asked the questions of women that B'n Q want answered for marketing purposes,not for the real reason. One of the questions that should have been asked with some sort of multi choice answer is what is DIY? If it is just painting, hanging wall paper, etc., then theirs no reason why the women can't be left to these boring tasks
Personally these are not DIY - these are 'decorating' and that goes hand in hand with choosing furniture, carpets and the likes; women's tasks.
If the survey had then gone on to ask about doing repairs, sorting electrical problems, drainage problems and all the other less glamorous tasks then the 5 would have dropped very considerably. "Do you know to us a hammer properly, use a saw, sharpen a plane, use a chisel?".. Big NO all round.
Most women know nothing about DIY. Typical use of statistics!! Rob

Time for a repost of Benny Benassi's video IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Jlo8neqb8

--
Adam

On 22/08/2011 23:55, John Rumm wrote:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2028233/Three-quarters-women-think-good-men-DIY-study-finds.html
There's no fundamental reason why women shouldn't be able to do DIY tasks if they set their mind on it - but they're likely to suffer from the disadvantage they they probably won't have acquired any basic DIY skills when young. When I was at school (50+ years ago, so it may be different now!) the boys did woodwork and metalwork, whilst the girls did Domestic Science - whatever that was!
As others have said, a lot depends on how you define "DIY" - but if you define it in terms of the stuff which gets discussed most on this NG, the proportion of female participants isn't that high, based on the male female posting ratio.
I have a feeling that women tend to be more end-oriented - so they will acquire the skill to do a specific job whereas men are more likely to acquire skills (and tools!) as an end in itself - with the result that they can turn their hand to a wider variety of jobs, and sometimes produce innovative solutions to problems they haven't net before. OK, this is a bit of a generalisation(!), but I think it has *some* validity.
--
Cheers,
Roger
On 23/08/2011 21:00, Roger Mills wrote:

Some women certainly can do DIY. Others haven't a clue. Just like men really! I think that more men than women have been brought up practicing DIY skills with their fathers though.
When it comes to the "heavier" end of DIY, most women are generally less able to picture sizes and a 3D idea and spin it round in their head, giving men an advantage in working out anything "structural" or where things have to be designed and built up and then manouevered into a tight space. This is apparently part of why a higher proportion of women than men have accidents turning right across traffic.
SteveW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v9qdhbkTko4

--
Adam

On 23/08/2011 21:00, Roger Mills wrote:

A woman on the radio tonight simply taught herself, because her husband is away on business a lot. She claims he is worried that he will come back one day and find she has built an extension on the house. From the list of jobs she has already tackled, I think he may be right to worry.
Colin Bignell