Memory Foam Mattress, as good as they claimed?

Ok, I am sold. After several nights of tossing and turning on my sagging 12 year old mattress. I decided to buy the currently crazed Tempur pedic mattress. But before I commit my online order, I'd like to know if anyone here would like to share your experience with memory foam based mattresses. And if it is worth spending $2000 on it. The older I get (over 56 now) the more precious my sleep become.

Besides tempur pedic, there are other brand name such as Bragada, Coolmax, and many other Tempur Pedic clones. They all seem to based on NASA memory foam. However, some claimed to be better than others. Bragada claimed to be the only memory foam mattress to be approved by the "Orthopaedic Research Institute".

pac

Reply to
PacKat

Doesn't the TemperPedic come with a 40 day trial period, after which you can return it if dissatisfied? I've always found foam mattresses, mattress covers, or foam pillows to feel too warm, and I like cool bedding. The Coolmax might be different, at least it sounds like it might be.

Reply to
willshak

Go buy a topper pad of memory foam at Sams and save about 1800-1900 dollars

Reply to
ChairMan

Dunno about the mattresses, but I finally bought a (cheapo) memory foam pillow at Walgreens, and I really do like it. It feels "backwards" to put the big buldge of the pillow at the neck side, but after you settle in, it feels great througout the night. The sole downside that I can see is that it has a slight "chemical smell" at first - even the instructions talk about it... I almost took it back, but decided to try it for an entire night.. and it's gone now (or my nose is dead ), and it sure feels better than scruntching up my old pillow(s) to try to get the shape I want every night. My son got one online somewhere a couple of months ago, and he likes it too... but I was too cheap to buy one like that, and found this one at Walgreens about a month ago for $19.95.

Reply to
Steve Henderson

topper is the way to go the mattresses only have a few inches of memory cell

Wayne

Reply to
Wayne

No experience with the mattresses, but we got a couple memory foam pillows when we bought our new "conventional" mattress and box spring. They reeked to high heaven! We let them air out for over a month, even in a screen porch, and they still stunk. That CANNOT be good for you! We threw them away.

Reply to
dpsours

I have heard of problems with odor and that they tend to be hot in the summer.

Is anything as good as it sounds in the ads?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I do not have the mattress. I bought an mattress pad from COSTCO for about $120.00. It is about 2 inches thick. It is wonderful. My brother even bought one, we both sleep better now.

I sure like it.

Reply to
SQLit

I think the obvious question is, have you even laid down on one? I was mattress shopping recently and a salesman had us try one out (without telling us the price I might add). I didn't like it at all. I felt like I sunk into it too much and immediately felt "warm", which I don't like. It also seemed difficult to change position, likely due to the same "sinking in" effect leaving you in a sort of shallow hole.

Greg Guarino

Reply to
Greg

Yeah, but what happens after say a month and you decide you really don't like it? Have you stored your old mattress to cover that event? Or did the delivery people that brought the new one take your old one away? You can bet they didn't keep it for you.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

I got a good quality memory foam topper for my existing mattress (which is a high-end one that is still in fairly good shape). I used the topper for the better part of a year before I tossed it.

I found it to be hot in summer and winter and less supportive than the mattress alone. It made it more difficult for me to turn over at night, sort of locking me into one position for long periods of time. As a result, I eventually started waking up during the night with backaches. In other words, it was no improvement over my regular mattress and had several disadvantages.

I've decided to buy a new conventional mattress and box spring.

Reply to
Tom Miller

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I purchased a mattress from

- I love it - the toppers aren't the same as the entire mattress - I used to sweat a lot, profusely, while I was sleeping at night - not since I bought the mattress - and it is very comfortable - compared to the Tempur models, it's a lot less expensive - AND, no shipping or tax!

The downside is that you can't try it first - but I was already sold on the memory foam idea, and this is exactly the same thing - a knock-off I'd guess . . .

Reply to
Texas Yankee

The tempur pedic felt too soft to me when I tried it in the store, and it had to be sold with a set of springs, which meant we'd have needed a ladder if we put it on our platform bed.

I've been look> Ok, I am sold. After several nights of tossing and turning

Reply to
William Brown

That does depend on where you live. If you live in a sales or use state (US) you will owe the tax even if the seller does not collect it. As I recall, Texas is not a sales or use state, but I am not sure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have a comfortaire bed, that has an air mattress, a memory foam topper and then a pillow top. It is really comfortable, but it did take some getting used to. It was a little hotter than I liked because I tend to stay in the same position when I sleep. I had to adjust the amount of covers to compensate.

Reply to
mark

Also consider latex foam:

aeropal

PacKat wrote: Thanks for all hte replies. My old cat is sick and pee-ed on my bed a few times last weeks. Make me wonder would memory foam absorb liquid as well as regular sponge? Thanks, pac

Reply to
PacKat

I just saw a commercial for the TemperPedic mattress. I was wrong about the trial period. It is 120 days, or 4 months, not 40 days. Still need to keep your old good mattress, but a little longer.

Reply to
willshak

(Back on the 40-day warranty...) Maybe so, but what's it cost to ship it back? Yikes!

Reply to
Chubs