how does a memory foam mattress work

"Memory foam works by becoming soft enough to mould around a person or body shape. This happens when the high-density, low-resilience polyurethane foam reacts to body heat. When the pressure is removed, it returns to its original shape."

I assume it doesn't return to its original shaper for an hour or two, right?

So, after you've been lying in bed a while, it moulds to you. But then you roll over or move down six inches and, assuming your on your side, your hips have made a big dent but now they are on a hill, and your waist is 6" above the dent your hips had made, and every place else no longer matched the dents and hills in the foam. How is this comfortable?

Reply to
micky

It returns to normal within a minute, maybe less. I've had one for 11 years and I'm not sure about it. BTW, I have one in my motor home and it gets really hard when the temp is low when the unit is in storage.

Reply to
Todesco

No, it molds fast and goes back flat fast. You won't feel any hills or bumps. Been sleeping on one for a few years and like it. I find it comfortable and sleep well.

Stop by your local bedding place and try one. You can get them mail order too. They are compressed and rolled for shipping.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Seems to me, then, it should be called anti-memory foam. But that's why I asked and you two have answered it.

I've always been fine with an inner-spring mattress, but I may need a new one.

So rolled up would be good because it would be a lot easier to get it upstairs. (Even if I have a big one delivered, I'd have to clean some to make room for the deliverymen.)

OTOH, I can get the new foam one upstairs, but I still have to get the old one downstairs. ;-(

thanks both of you.

Reply to
micky

Will it fit thru the window? If so, give it a shove, then go down to pick it out of the flowers or off of someone's car.

Reply to
Jim Joyce

I have a 3-section window, side-by-side, and if took out all 6 panes, it would fit.

I had a 21" CRT monitor that was hard enough to bring upstairs when I was 8 years younger and 50 pounds lighter, so get rid of it, I tied a rope to the power cord (or the signal cord?) and lowered it out the window. A different windows.

I also cut the old water heater up to make it easier to drag up the stairs, and to see what it was like inside. What they call a glass lining is really a vinyl lining mixed with, I guess, glass.

I could cut the mattress into pieces, but that will leave clumps of stuffing all over the place.

Reply to
micky

We tried that with our old king mattress when we moved south. It wasn't as easy as it sounds. It really didn't work. We put it curb side on garbage pick up day and someone picked it up even with the big trial cut in it. Seems all the inner springs were tied together. Luckily my son was over and the 3 of us grunted it down the stairs.

Reply to
Todesco