Visco-elastic (memory foam) for armchairs

I have just bought a mattress made of visco-elastic memory foam - and it is extremely comfortable - because it spreads the load well.

I'm wondering whether armchairs made of the same material would be good? Particularly for people with back pain.

Does anyone make them already? If not, could I make some? Any ideas welcomed and appreciated.

Reply to
Chris

Dunno, but you can buy sheets of the stuff intended to lay on top of normal mattress, as the cheapskate route to buying the full visco-elastic mattress (and I gather it doesn't work!). Might be worth exploring? Don't know where you buy it I'm afraid.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Depends on your armchair. You need more support under visco-elastic foam, so you should either build with visco foam in mind and maybe a plywood strip seat, or you should use a 2" overlay over CMHR50 (hard chipfoam). Thinner overlays aren't much use, as you sink straight through them. Many people with back problems carry a 3" cushion slab around with them, as an overlay for restaurant chairs etc.

There are many on-line suppliers of foam cut to size, but shipping isn't cheap so consider looking locally first. Some names were posted a few days ago. Disability suppliers are _very_ expensive for visco foam.

PU foam is roughly £10 / seat. latex is twice this, visco is four times it. Poor quality PU is half that.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I bought a truesleeper mattress topper - only 2"(ish) thick but is one of the best things I've ever done. I think it was about 120 quid for a kingsize mattress. I too wondered about cutting one up for use on chairs etc & I think it would be an excellent idea.

Reply to
adder1969

I bought a mattress Topper from vitafoam.co.uk King size 50mm thick £42.00. It is sooooooooooooo nice. Baz

Reply to
Baz

Which is the same as 2" in "British"

Reply to
RealUK

Interesting link, but i can't see how you can actually buy anything from that website. list of stockists would be nice

Reply to
Old Bill

Reply to
Yekal

Thanks - a cushion would probably be OK - certainly worth trying - probably on top of an ordinary dining chair - e.g. for sitting at computer. How thick? Couple of inches? What is your website - or any other source of supply?

In article , Yekal writes

Reply to
Chris

Reply to