Source for TIN can crushers (as well as drinks)

Hi all,
local council has inched into the 21st century and providing roadside collection of cans. I've no problem rinsing them, but want to crush them to save space.
Anyone recommend a wall mounted manual crusher which will do tins (soup etc) as well as drinks cans. The ones I've turned up specify for drinks cans only.
regards

http://www.homerecycling.co.uk/catalogue.php?product_id 6

So is this a personal recommendation, or just the link? Looks like this is the sort of thing many of us could knock up out of workshop scrap. I just stand on them, like Dave L, but I have difficulty persuading the family to do it!
I wonder if it would be possible to make a shredder or compactor which would work for cans and plastic bottles.
On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 22:42:10 +0100, Newshound wrote:

A shredder for hard plastics would be good but I don't think it would go down very well with the recyclers as they then can't easily sort the different types of hard plastic. Simple to hoik out the PET drinks bottles, the HDPE milk bottles etc. not so easy when they are a mass of mixed bits...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Good point Dave, I didn't realise they might be manually sorted. Perhaps these days they can differentiate with a smart optical system (IR, UV?).
On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:55:57 +0100, Newshound wrote:

I guess there might be a IR/UV solution or prehaps a system using density? Of course labour is cheap in China...
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Some 2x4 and a couple of bolts will do it.
I just stand on them but I have a safety opener that leaves /no/ sharp edges that you can get at.
On 19 Apr 2007 06:31:07 -0700, Jethro wrote:

Cut the bottom off and flatten. Our tin opener cuts though the side not the lid so a standard can flattens very easily. The rim left on the body by a opener that cuts through the lid is not particulary strong.
A ring pull can just has the rim at the top, that is easy to fold.
Deep drawn tins are not so easy to do but it you squish from the open end the base will come forward and can then be flattened against the now flat body of the can.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

I've got a ten-ton power press going spare if you want to go the DIY route :-)
Colin Bignell