Sawzall for building as well as demolition?

When we moved to our present home, I left my circular handsaw behind.

Now I've got several projects that call for a reciprocating saw (I'm looking at the Milwaukee Sawzall 6509-22).

I know that the reciprocating saw is normally considered to be a tool for demolition work, but has anyone used one as substitute for a circular saw for occasional _construction_ projects?

I suppose the question boils down to whether the Sawzall can produce relatively smooth cuts with enough control to produce good work.

Thanks for any thoughts

Northe

Reply to
Northe

f Good enough for making batter boards, surveying stakes, and lopping off furring strips, but for framing, stick with your circular saw. If you're really picky about your framing work, buy a 12" miter saw or chop saw and use the 7 1/4" only where you absolutely must. And that's my biased opinion, YMMV.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

No. Well, maybe in the hands of a superskilled woodworker but not in the hands of 99% of the rest of us. Way too much vibration.

KC

Reply to
KC

I think the question is: Do I have the patience, the strength, and the time to have the sawzall do what a circular saw can do far easier with better results in a 10th of the time? Sure, a sawzall with a short, wide blade could be made do a reasonable job; but so could a pruning saw.

Now, go get a new saw!!! :-)

Reply to
Dave Bugg

Oh, it'd probably work for rough framing, especially if you used a c-clamped strait edge as a guide. But they are . I only have so many years left. If my skilsaw died and I only had a couple cuts left to button up a project, maybe. Otherwise, even if I had to drive an hour to buy another saw, I'd be better off, time-wise.

Note that I have seen framing crews use a gas-powered chainsaw to trim the edge of a third-story roof deck, walking a 5-12 roof with no harness. So, there are people out there that do crazy things.

aem sends....

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

IMO, No. I could not do projects without both.

The good news is that the el-cheapo circ saw will do and adequate job for most home users. I did many projects over the years with a Wally-world b&d circ saw. For daily use they won't last real long. For most people they will do fine. The cheapest of the lot will make a cleaner, faster cut than a recip.

For a recip saw, buy a good one if you buy one at all. The cheap ones won't last. Most Milwaukee products are good. I don't recognize the particular model you mention.

Reply to
Colbyt

10 amp, 7 pounds, available for about $100.
Reply to
Tom Kendrick

Harbor Freight has a recip saw for $19.99. It is okay but a Milwaukee is far better. I was given a Milwaukee after I bought the HF and found the Milwaukee cuts quicker and has less vibration. I would not use one for construction but it works great for demo!

Reply to
bigjim

Thanks for all the replies. It seems clear that I'll need to get both!

Northe

Reply to
Northe

A Sawzall is as accurate as you can handle it. Good enough for framing but I'd use a circ saw for straight edges.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Why not? I do it all the time. My brother-in-law uses a chain saw for construction! It all comes down to skill from practice!

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Years ago, I was installing a door, and the door was taller than the frame. I carefully marked the cut line, and had at it with a jig saw (recip blade some what like a sawzall). The saw was running slow, and so I was pushing pretty hard. When I finished the cut, the top line was straight, and the other side of the door, the cut was wavy and all over the place.

I did have a circular saw, and should have used it. For so many straight line cuts, a circular saw is far superior.

You can get a junk sawzall for about twenty bucks at Harbor Freight, they go on sale often for 17..99, I think it is.

Reply to
Christopher Young (on newer c

Indeed you can. Or you can buy quality that will last.

The retaining pin (for the blade) for my Makita was no longer working. I went to the local dealer and was told that saw is obsolete. It is 18 years old. I do still have 2 of those pins in stock.

I bought them both.

Based on my experience to date the saw should outlive me.

Reply to
Colbyt

Industry standard is the original Milwaukee Sawzall. I've beat mine to death and it refuses to die. Love the quick twist chuck too.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Funny you said that. We have some Amish people in our rural neighborhood. I visit them often and they are nice people. They have helped me several times, so when they had a barn raising I offerred to help. I was quite amazed to see them build the entire barn with a chainsaw. They can cut that wood as straight as I can with a circular saw, which amazes me. To me a chainsaw is only for cutting trees and firewood. Of course those Amish guys could not believe it when I cut down a 6 inch diameter tree with a circular saw. My chainsaw would not start (as usual), so I used the circular saw, and just went all the way around the trunk.

Reply to
robertsrules