power tool for green wood and where to get

Recently posted this below in a gardening newsgroup and it was then suggested I post it here, as you guys know about power tools.

========================================================== We are helping a neighbour take down a massive laurel type tree. After being knocked out with all the sawing we thought one of the reciprocating type saws would be the answer.

These are the type of things, as in this page of the argos on line catalogue.

the paper catalogue they also list a Bosh for £79.

Would anyone have experience of these types of saws for cutting into *green* wood, and perhaps could recommend a particular one? Thanks. ==========================================================================

Someone suggested I stick with the bow saw. Thats fine for the bigger branches I guess, but this tree has been around for 75 years or so and has been hacked into; so it has got many smaller branches which are a bit of a struggle to hold whilsts using the bow saw up a ladder.

The bow saw we have needs a new blade. I'm guess its a 24" saw because thats the distance between the *inner* ends of the frame. The blade has two holes at each end. The distance between the outer holes is 23" and the inner holes

22". So would i be right in ordering a new blade for a 24" saw? Yep, i'm a novice..

I know of Screwfix, where I can order a new blade; but are there one or two other good tool stockists that you would recommend so I can compare prices? Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
john hamilton

[...]

You might find a simple pruning saw the most useful one handed tool. That said, mine is bloody useless because the mechanism that locks the blade in place is so feeble. Perhaps someone can suggest a decent make.

Reply to
stuart noble

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

toolstation.

NT

Reply to
NT

I used a reciprocating saw successfully to lop some overgrown Leylandii. You can get through a good thickness if you use a long blade. They won't cut well in the middle of a branch or stem that can bend or vibrate, but are good through rigid stuff and where stems join branches.

Not as quick or effective as a chainsaw, but less scope for personal injury, though still some - I'd be very careful to keep a good grip on it, and not use it overhead, near your face or body, or while standing on anything insecure.

I used an Erbauer from Screwfix, but have no reson to recommen it over other makes, apart from it didn't break.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

chainsaw is the best. Even an electric one will do up to about 2-3" diameter stuff.

Below an inch bolt cutter style loppers

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

With gasoline (or electric) chain-saw wear proper protective gear!

If unskilled try not use a chain saw while on a ladder!

We use a cordless reciprocating saw with several spare batteries.

Taking the weight off branches by cutting off the outer end first and then closer to the trunk.

Son in law wanted to chop down a small tree recently and I declined to lend him my old 1074 Pioneer on basis it has not been used for years. Instead we used the cordless reciprocating with a longish six to eight inch two to three quid blade. Took two battery charges. Cordless probably the safest alternative of all to those of us who though careful are not expereienced.

Reply to
terry

Or understand the beast and behave sensibly. People driving cars should likewise wear full nomex, full face crash helmets and fit full sfatey cages and 4 point harness..

Never use a chainsaw on a ladder full stop. If its that dodgy, get someone else to do it. ;-)

My limit is perched on a branch and roped to the tree. Harder to do safely with all that safety gear on..;-)

you cant really do much more with a recip than you can do with a sharpish pruning saw, and not that much faster either. couple of horsepower chainsaw really starts to cut the mustard tho.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A chainsaw, electric or petrol?

There is a special blade for a bowsaw for green wood, cos the wood squeezes a normal blade.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

maybe its got a bit bent, a sawn off aluminium scaffold bar on each end will let you bend it back to fit a 24" blade.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

yes.

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Depends on your recip saw. They can cut in awkward places that you can't get a bow saw. A decent recip saw will cut through thicker branches than you can easily do by hand, and in a fraction of the time.

dan.

Reply to
dent

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Other week I lopped the tops off 40 Leylandii. Average thickness to saw about 20cm, with numerous smaller branches to remove. Chainsaw absolutely no way, (Darwin central, need staging etc). Reciprocating saw found to be a hard work, waste of time. Fortunately, had called into Aldi for some vittles and noticed a cheap Bow saw and a bolt cutter type lopping shear. Sorted!. Bow saw for the big stuff, lopper for everything

Reply to
john

Tht is roughly what I tooke a leylandii down with some years back.

it wont work on a maple tree though. Wood is too ***ing hard.

bay laurel if that's what it is, is reasonably soft and sappy. If its a proper bay tree, they can be a bit tougher.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really. There are two saws that are worth using, a chain saw and a hand saw designed for pruning green wood. Bow saws are useless for this, you need the pull saw type which will be not much slower than the chain saw on all but the largest branches.

Something like this:

one of these:

much else worth bothering with. I prune 85 olive trees a year with similar tools and I've just taken down a very large laburnum using one of the Fiskars pruning saws. No other saw needed.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But not up a ladder, to which it is best to have one hand attached.

Reply to
stuart noble

Also you will often find if you look in the 'pound' type shops and Aldi and Lidl, it can be cheaper to buy a whole new saw than just a blade on it's own.

Spamlet

You can get green wood blades for reciprocating saws - toolstation do some silverline ones that are adequate and very cheap. A basic receip saw with pendulum action will cut faster than one without.

You might also want to look at one of the scissor action pruning chainsaws - very quick and quite safe compared to a traditional one.

the long reach chainsaw pruners that go on the end of brushcutter bodies can be very effective for lopping.

Reply to
John Rumm

> or one of these:

I got a cheap pruning pole from Wilkinsons last year and was amazed at how easily the lopper side of it would cut through quite thick holly branches, and the pull saw side would deal with the rest: the weight of the pole greatly assisting the pull. I was actually able to extend the pull rope and the pole (with one of those poles for painting the ceiling) to be able to neatly prune a multi-stemmed tree up to 20' high.

And for tidying the trimmings, a jungle style parang that was about £3.50 from one of those 'pound' shops, was just the job. Now one of my favourite tools.

Spamlet

After advice on here, I bough a pruning saw and it was quite easy to use from a ladder on up to about 10cm Ash. The loppers from Aldidl work well for smaller stuff.

For sawing up the green trunks I used a saw from Toolstation. One tip with it, though - don't catch your hand (or anything else) on it, or even touch the teeth, as it's bloody vicious!

PeterC