power tool for green wood and where to get

I have a slightly more expensive version (OK, several) for pruning the olives. You're right they work very well.

For that I use a billhook, shorter blade but much heavier. Excellent for trimming away the side branches to leave a bare pole that can be sawn into lengths suitable for the log burner. The British versions have a blade on the back edge to be used to cut branches into lengths for the fire. Sadly Italian versions don't have the edge on the back of the blade. Apparently this difference goes back to 200AD.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was going to mention my other one time 'fave' tool - the 'Yorkshire' Billhook - which has two sides and a longer handle so that it doubles as quite a hefty axe. However, as these seem to have now acquired the status of 'heritage' tools they are collected and ludicrously expensive (google and see: your billhook might earn you a bob or two), and the ordinary billhook I never found heavy enough to cut through much. The parang with a blade in excess of two feet and with all the weight at the bottom, whizzes through an amazing amount, and I found it quicker than a hedge trimmer for the hedgerow opposite our house. Just have to be careful the follow through doesn't take your leg off (wellie job).

Happy daze.

Spamlet

I learn such interesting stuff on this board.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Just the thing for dismembering your victims! You'd need goggles, of course.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Hello, I am on my second recip saw from BQ..the first did an enormous amount of work before dying, making several thousand cuts through firewood branches. I have been through 8" dia. branches happily if you are happy to spend the time. I find them very good if you can get power to the wood location..as mine was corded, of course. Also very good to keep a cheap blade...Toolstation---handy for only cutting roots when removing stumps. A have been very impressed with an electric chain saw from Focus-- Einhell--with which I have cut 22" dia. trees. Very capable and easy to use...seems very robust....seniors discount everyday--10%--too. The billhook is also useful, but, for me, the danger of it is sometimes an issue..and being older, shock on one arm is a problem after a long day. I have found that good long-handles loppers carefully sharpened with a diamond pad can distribute the force to two arms and can go through a lot of green branches clearing the way for more safely using the other tools nearer the large branches. Good luck David

Reply to
gilli

[g]
Reply to
george [dicegeorge]

[...]

Many thanks to all. I have just found out that my neighbour (whose tree it is) can get the use of a circular saw (which I will end up actually using myself).

I would prefer the reciprocating saw since it seems to me more *manageable*. But i dont want to go and buy one; which would only be for this one job.

Would a circular saw be possibly a reasonable alternative please? Bearing in mind the trunks are up to about 23 cm in diameter and that I might have to hold the circular saw up to, and possibly above face level up a small ladder. Thanks for any further advice.

Reply to
john hamilton

I wouldn't. Sounds dangerous to me. You'd be better off with your bow saw. Much lighter: no lead to tangle and distract you; and you can hook it over branches to rest, or even hold on to while you lower what you have cut. As you seem to be tackling the trunk now rather than the branches, better still would be to fell the trunk and *then* cut it up.

Spamlet

Thanks. But due to its location between shed and fences, i cannot bring the whole thing down, but must do it in small bites.

Reply to
john hamilton

Then I would carry on as you were, lopping the side branches but leaving enough 'pegs' behind for you to work your way up standing on them. Put a long belt or harness around your waist and around the tree, so that you can stand on the 'pegs', use both hands and not fall off any ladders. Work your way up until the stem is thin enough to saw through easily; tie the piece above where you are to cut to a rope hung over another handy 'peg', then make the cut and lower the top of the tree down carefully. Then work your way back down the trunk, cutting it into manageable sections as you go and lowering them down in turn. A good bowsaw with a new blade will have no trouble cutting through 23cm of wet softwood when you are properly braced in the tree and can use both hands: just make sure to tie-in each piece before you cut it.

If this is one of those trees that actually grew up tight between fence and shed and you want to get it right down to the ground, then you may be able to get in with one of the 'pruning' pull saws on a pole (I've even got away with 'bungeeing' ordinary saws to poles, before now.). As it is a conifer, you probably will not have to worry about it regrowing from the root or suckers, but you may find that as it rots the hard standing of the sheds may settle or crack. In a similar situation with an elder tree, I had to take down the fence *and* dig out the root, to stop it regrowing: you may be able to dig down beside the fence and pull the stump out from underneath (for which, jacks and chains, suitably braced, can achieve a lot.).

Can all be quite satisfying when considered carefully. I rather miss the opportunity as I seem to have been stuck with no energy for far too long. :-(

Spamlet

An afterthought. Having seen a prog recently about cutting stone with a cable, I looked to see if there was a more substantial version of the small two handed wire saws: and there is. Seems to be mostly used in the US, but tracked one down to here:

won't help you much with limbs dropping on your sheds, but may be a good way to get at the bit between the obstructions. (Looks like something I would find handy for the overhanging branches in our lane too.)

Spamlet

Nope - totally unsuited the the job. Even a largish circular saw can only cut about 3" deep, and its not designed to be used up a tree.

(they are ideal for accurately cutting sheet materials)

Reply to
John Rumm