Use of miter saws?

I am new to home improvement. Saw a big sale of miter saw at Home Depot. What are good uses of a miter saw versus other saws? What common things can you make having to use a miter saw vs . any other saw? Thanks.

Reply to
zcarenow

They're very good at miters. :-)

If you're doing molding, flooring, that kind of thing, you don't want to be without one. They can also be used as a cutoff saw for 2X4s and such. You won't cut a piece of plywood with one.

Reply to
CJT

Someone told me that you can use it to make the arches in solar screens. Don't know how that is possible.

Reply to
zcarenow

As a former amature who is now a novice this is the order I bought my saws with the general uses:

Hack - everying :) - from teenager to 30's :) skill saw - general use, saw off 2x4s, plywood, etc... took a while to get good at using it (eg straight lines) mitre saw - molding and baseboards, 2x4, flooring cut off etc. reciprocating - demolitions, small low lying tree limbs - vital for demo work! table saw - finer cuts, especially ripping decking, flooring, some rough cabinetry

all reasonably lower end of market... have served me very well.... as I get better, I see the benefit of higher end saws, but still make do with the cheaper ones.

If only one saw...really depends on you most like use.

Reply to
Louis McEniry

So will the 10" miter saw do the job for most work? I just saw an ad at Lowe's for Delta 10" miter saw . Is this a great deal also?

zcarenow

Great? No. Mediocre? Maybe, depending on your use.

My saw was $300 and the blade is worth more than that saw. It has better support on the right side for the wood being cut, it is larger 12", for a wider cut, it is very accurate and holds settings.

If you plan to install some flooring, trim some baseboard, hack some 2 x 4's to size, it will probably be all you ever need. If you are going to do more serious work, compound miters for crown molding, you may be disappointed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Looks good to me. Once you've used it for a while you'll have a better idea what you might want that it doesn't have (if anything).

FWIW, my miter saw cost more than that. It has served me quite well, but now it's drifted off 90 degrees slightly and try as I might I can't get it adjusted just right. I think maybe my blade is bent.

Maybe I should head for Lowes. ;-)

Reply to
CJT

For crown molding, you hardly need a 12" blade.

Reply to
CJT

I never suggested that. You do need a saw that is accurate and easily set to get the proper compound angles. I bought a DeWalt 12" for the wider cuts it can make. Not everyone needs that, but it was worth the extra money for me. When cutting very thick lumber such as 4 x 4's, the extra power of better saws is a big plus. As I did say, it depends on your needs..

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

HD has Ryobi mitre saws for 100 dollars, plus other of their tools for the same price. It wasn't clear if the price started tomorrow or later this weekend. or when it ended.

It's not clear to me if it's a good price or not.

But I'll bet some sale ad is what prompts this question.

mm

I've have a Makita 10" miter that I've used for years, it does about

90& of all I need.

The ultimate "miter" would be a 12" DeWalt compound slide miter. A lot more than a typical 10" simple miter but it can do it all.

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Yeah, I've got a plain miter saw (a delta 10") and it's great for regular miter cuts and as a cut-off for 2x4s. With a compound slider, though, I could use it as a cut-off on bigger pieces like 2x8 and 4x4. I can use a regular circular saw for those so it's no big deal but a slider would make it that much simpler.

Reply to
wkearney99

Reply to
Rob Mills

Depends on the work you do. Carpentry, framing, the circular saw is the best. If you are building cabinets and furniture, the table saw is superior.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Rob Mills

It all depends on what you want to use it for. Wood floors, moulding, etc... and a miter saw excels. If you're looking at framing additions, then a handheld circular saw might make more sense although the miter saw will do that too. If you're looking at cabinets/furniture, the miter saw won't do much for you. For that, it's recommended that you get yourself a solid table saw. A Table Saw will do all of the above well but you may have to build some jigs etc. depending on what you're doing. I have a Table Saw (which is the most used tool in the shop for cutting), a Radial Arm Saw (used for crosscutting to rough length), a miter saw (currently being used for a wood floor, soon to be used for moulding), a circular saw (for rough cutting large sheet goods), a reciprocating saw (mostly for my jeep! and demo), bandsaw (for curvy things), and a number of Japanese/Western style handsaws for dovetails, etc....

At the end of the day, it all depends on what you want to do as to what the most appropriate tool might be. Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

Lol... I retired in 1998 and I sure do not sleep in....like to get up early and enjoy the peace and quiet... when the wife wakes up I say good morning to her then run out to my shop

Heck.. I own 2 Table saws...a Band saw, reciprocating saw, assorted jig or sabre saws, a stationary "jig" saw, a couple of circular saws, a Regular Miter saw, a Radial arm saw... half dozen hand saws,

Each has its own use... they all cut wood... I would not want to build a house using my Tablesaw...but I would not want to build a kitchen cabinet with a circular saw...and neither would be real good at trimming fallen tree limbs (oh I forgot I also have gas & electric chain saws)..for tree limbs..

Actually I should just sit down and make a list of what kind of saws I own ...darn just remembered I also have a couple of bow saws, a coping saw, a flush cut saw....damn the list is going to be long ...LOL

Bob G..

Reply to
Bob G.