Three lane roads ....

With everybody wanting to overtake I think they should bring back the three lane A road........all 1950s three lane roads have now been converted to two lanes but why not bring the three lane road back with the middle lane providing overtaking in both directions? ...it was a great design and I remember it well .... ....think about it, the middle lane would allow all those punters who only want to overtake the chance to be doing so all the time in their own dedicated lane !.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

When this pat-time bus-lane is not active it's two lanes Southbound and one lane Northbound

It's not unusual to see Northbound drivers becoming confused abiut the status of the middle lane.

Reply to
Graham.

The problem with the 3-lane is that no driver has the right of way, in my youth we had one near us and there were many head on collisions, that was 50 years ago when traffic was much lighter. It was due to all the accidents that they eventually converted it to a 2 lane.

Reply to
ss

but the drivers who just want to get in front at any cost would love them ........

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

not the same thing ....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Three lane stretches are not uncommon in NZ. However, they alternate the markings so that the middle is explicitly part of the side for one direction or the other.

#Paul

Reply to
news19k

It would certainly decrease the number of boy racers, in pairs!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Slightly different, but around my way they road planners seem to have started a fad for dual carriage ways to expand to 3 lanes at traffic lights. There may be some logic if one lane was dedicated for a left or right turn but the roads are marked as an optional right/left turn or straight on. In practice where these 3 lane traffic light junctions have been implemented 99% of drivers are going to go straight on. The other side of the lights the road then narrows back to 2 lanes within a short length of tarmac.

Reply to
alan_m

Really? It sounds like a nightmare to me, since all that would happen is a huge jam up toward the end of the lane or at the next set of traffic lights with folk trying to filter back into the other lanes. Maybe partition it off completely so you are committed and charge by the mile to use it. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The fatal flaw was that people took the "both directions" bit too literally.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

here too but that is cheating both directions need to be able to use the middle lane for it to work

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

just one advantage...less fart cans .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

good organ donor source ...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

no fun

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

That's done quite frequently in the UK, too.

Reply to
charles

Same with A38 between Bristol and Gloucester in the 70's. I did 50 miles a day every day on a "works" coach. We typically passed the remains of an accident once a week. (Very heavy traffic before the M5 was open, of course).

Reply to
newshound

That can?t possibly be right. Jim says it was a great design. You?re not suggesting that he?s mistaken surely? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

AKA "Tidal flow" ?

The Aston Expressway in Brum (6 lanes in places) sometimes runs that system. Or used to. I haven't been over in rush hour in years.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

No it wouldn't, they just force the innocent they are overtaking off the road as they pull in.

If we must have three lanes then they need alternate two in one direction then two in the other as many of the roads are now.

Reply to
dennis

PDFTT

;-)