Three lane roads ....

dennis@home wrote on 29/06/2019 :

Yes it certainly does, read the rules in the sections which were quoted above.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It happens that ARW formulated :

From what I can see in that image, with just the one white car occupying the right hand side of the road coming towards me, further assuming there was a slower moving vehicle ahead of me, then there is no reason to hesitate at all at that instant.

However, a little further along, I see there are warning arrows in the middle lane, so the difference in speed between my vehicle and the one I was thinking to overtake, would need to be considered before pulling out there.

I will go further and suggest I havein fact overtaken on that actual road numerous times.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Marland explained on 29/06/2019 :

I think you meant to say slowly behind it in lane 2, not three?

I think there, you are suggesting you would be overtaking and making use of lane 3?

You make an interesting point there....

I cannot think of any law which prevents your using lane 3 at all, however I would not use it no matter how tempted, because it leaves you very exposed out there completely on the wrong side of the road, with two rows of vehicles to your left. I would also be wary in lane 3, of someone pulling out of a farm gate on the right, after seeing there side of the road, to their right was clear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Jim GM4DHJ ... brought next idea :

The layot gives priority use of that centre lane, to vehicles coming up the hill. Uphills sections of road are where the heavily loaded vehicles tend to slow down and where those behind them tend to need to overtake. Nothing wrong with that road layout at all.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

dennis@home wrote on 29/06/2019 :

Only because it does give priority, it does also prevent those climbing the hill using the third lane.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

It is a road I use often,you have very good sight line down the hill and I will only do it if nothing is visible coming the other way more so I don?t spook anyone coming up even though there would often be room and the vehicles in both lanes I am overtaking are relatively slow such a tractor in the left hand lane and a snail doing

40 in the 2nd . Reasonably swift and car and the down gradient makes it a quick exercise though I won?t go above NSL for long as there is often a speed camera van or unmarked police car around the bend at the bottom waiting for speeders to come into view. And no I haven?t,Just often observed it when coming the other way.

No farm gates or other access , it is an improved section of road and is basically a small bypass and was built without any access points in 1990 ,the fields are accessed from the old road through the village.

GH

Reply to
Marland

I have already done this. try reading the posts.

Reply to
dennis

They don't agree with you.

Reply to
dennis

You still haven't produced a shred of evidence that it gives priority to anyone.

Reply to
dennis

That is not the view you get when driving. That is from the Google camera that is high up.

This is the view from my dashcam with the camera mounted to the top of the windscreen in a Fiat Scudo and is lower than the Google camera. My head is lower than the dashcam. When driving in a car it's even lower.

I use that road 10 times a week on average. Many a car has had to jump back into the left lane because I am coming the other way and they have not judged the speeds properly.

Reply to
ARW

on 30/06/2019, dennis@home supposed :

Buy yourself some new glasses, because they do..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

ARW submitted this idea :

I see your point, it is very different.

What, because the oncoming vehicles climbing that slope have priority over the middle lane, surely not :-)

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Of course they have priority.

They do not see me passing the lorry because of the bend and have to move back into the left hand lane.

Reply to
ARW

Marland submitted this idea :

OK, but as said, I would not use lane 3 despite being a driver who makes good progress.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

ARW was thinking very hard :

Thanks Adam!

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

We do have a poster that has trained as a driving instructor but he has unfortunately not posted to this thread.

Reply to
ARW

Tim Lamb expressed precisely :

Nice smooth drive Adam, but it is difficult to judge distance from a cameras view.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Robin was thinking very hard :

Most of the day, that is not a particularly busy road. If you like busy, try York, Leeds and Bradford.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And also difficult to judge the speed.

What speed do you think was I travelling at when I went under the green bridge 56 seconds in to the way to work video?

ARW

ARW formulated on Sunday :

As you say, difficult to judge from a camera, but I would guess at 70.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield