Re: Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

On Thu, 9 May 2013 12:04:52 +0100, "Arfa Daily"

Just a thought, if they were measuring average speed, two cameras would be required, but it wouldn't be two offenses.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

If the cameras were a significant distance apart I would think it would have to count as three offences but I believe that the courts do have some discretion. Your daughter would almost certainly have to go to court to stand a chance of getting a reduced penalty.
You may find more info here. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/53/section/28
Tim
On 09/05/2013 12:27, Tim+ wrote:

Paragraph 4 would appear to apply here, in which case, unless the Court decides to exercise its power to ignore that, no more than three penalty points should be applied.
Colin Bignell
On 09/05/2013 13:00, Nightjar wrote:

It could certainly pick up a fine for each transgression.

However, Paragraph 5 appears to say that the court can ignore Paragraph 4 if it feels like it or the wind is blowing in the right direction.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown
On 09/05/2013 13:16, Martin Brown wrote:

Under Paragraph 6, any such decision must be justified in open court, which would leave it open to later challenge if it did not fall within the sentencing guidelines.
For a Magistrate's Court, the guidelines for exceeding a 70mph limit are 70-90mph 3 points, plus a Band A fine. 91-100mph 4-6 points OR 7-28 days' disqualification and, in either case, a Band B fine. 101-110mph 7-56 days' disqualification OR 6 points and, in either case, a Band B fine. Pleading guilty may get a reduction in sentence. Other factors, such as bad weather or heavy traffic may result in a higher sentence.
Band A fines are 25%-75% of relevant weekly income, which is based upon a declaration by the offender, with a minimum RWI of £100. Band B fines are 75%-125% of RWI.
Colin Bignell

I suspect "same occasion" would mean something like going through a red light whilst speeding. I really doubt it would mean tripping 3 different speed cameras in the same day, which might well be prosecuted separately by different police authorities anyway.
--
Andrew Gabriel
On 09/05/2013 21:31, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

I think it would depend upon how the Court interprets the phrase, given AIUI, that it was three consecutive cameras on the same stretch of road.
Colin Bignell

If the defendant could plausibly claim that she didn't slow down to below the limit between detections, it seems to me to be one offence, regardless of the paragraph in question, and regardless of how far apart those detections were.
Unless the offence is bounded by travelling below the limit before and after, it would be possible to charge anyone with a very large number of offences based on one detection and the incontrovertible *deduction* of speeding for (say) every one of the next million microseconds.
--
Mike Barnes

some years ago, our local paper reported a court case where someone was charged with 3 separate motoring offences which resulted in his disqualification: 1. Not showing obligatory red rear lights; 2. not showing obligatory white front light 3. not illuminating the rear number plate. The idiot had a single blown fuse and managed to upset the traffic patrol.
--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Average speed cameras don't flash.
Tim
Arfa Daily formulated on Thursday :

I have to ask, in a light-hearted way of course, is your daughter blonde by any chance?
To notice the first flash would make me think 'Shit, the fekkin' cameras are working and I've just been caught - suppose I'd better slow down for the next camera'.
To go on and be flashed a further TWO times is just beyond belief 8-o
On Thu, 09 May 2013 12:38:35 +0100, Pete wrote:

+1
In my book it would be three separate offences each carrying the default fine and points. If the points total ends up meaning a ban well that's just tough...
That's my book though, the one the magistrates appear to use seems a bit lenient IMHO. Still she will have to take it to court to get the magistrates opinion, who may well decide to follow my book. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.

Well that does beg a question of where are three speed cameras on the same stretch of motorway surely they aren't that close together?.
Sure they were speed cams and not something else?..
--
Tony Sayer

tony sayer wrote:

Even when I had a speed camera detector I never came across 3 gantry cameras within a couple of miles of each other. Of couse if you can repeat the journey in the other direction and you can remember where you were flashed than you can actually have a look up at the gantry to see if there is a camera on there.
--
Adam

On 09/05/2013 19:17, ARW wrote: <>

Never sure whether all gantries on the M25 have cameras? If so, I am sure there are some places where three are within a couple of miles.
--
Rod

On 09/05/2013 19:48, polygonum wrote:

There are lots of cameras on managed motorways, probably on every gantry where the speed can change.
dennis@home wrote:

There are NOT lots of cameras on managed motorways. When you are driving the other carriageway you can see the cameras.
--
Adam

On Thu, 9 May 2013 19:57:55 +0100, ARW wrote:

Are there any managed motorways north of Birmingham? Can't say I've noticed any but I do try an avoid Manchester if I can...
I'm more used to motorways that aren't lit at night and after about 2300 to 0500 you might have one set of tail lights in the far distance and one set of headlights way behind you. B-)
--
Cheers
Dave.
Dave Liquorice wrote:

There will soon be the M62 as it passes Leeds. A couple of years should see the M1 both north and south of the two junctions I use to get home also become managed motorways

My experience of the existing managed motorways that I have frequently driven (M1, M42. M25) is usually early in the morning - that's why I am doing over 90MPH.
--
Adam

I think you'll find the cameras only operate when the variable speed limit is in operation, since that's their declared purpose
--
geoff