Re: Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

On Friday 10 May 2013 12:57 larkim wrote in uk.d-i-y:

When I were a lad, I got a second hand Austin Maestro - the one that talked with the digital dash.

Anyway, I assumed the dash speedo, being digital, was somehow "more accurate" than normal.

So there I was, bombing along a wide open bit of the A25 when a copper jumps out from behind a bush with a hairdryer.

I looked down at the dash and saw "43" on the speedo, and being a 30mph road, thought "shit".

Anyway, matey comes over and says "Sir, do you know how fast you were going?" Before I can answer, he shows my said hairdryer: "39mph" it said.

I just managed to refrain from saying "Oh, is that all?" and put on my contrite face instead.

He said "I'll let you off - you probably got done by the camera back there" (a mile back).

I thanked him with the silent thought "I'm local, I know about that camera".

The only other time I have actually beeen flashed, it was on the A3 where the camera gets filled with film each morning and is out by lunchtime...

Reply to
Tim Watts

There will soon be the M62 as it passes Leeds. A couple of years should see the M1 both north and south of the two junctions I use to get home also become managed motorways

My experience of the existing managed motorways that I have frequently driven (M1, M42. M25) is usually early in the morning - that's why I am doing over 90MPH.

Reply to
ARW

That's not what my speed camera detector told me. 1 in 3 CAN hold a camera but there are far less than 1 in 3 actually holding a camera.

Reply to
ARW

Indeed posting a bit early today;!....

Yes, imagine the claims!..

Reply to
tony sayer

Do you have a detector that will pick up the ANPR ones, then? Most of the managed motorways I drive along have those, and use them for average speed detection.

Reply to
John Williamson

In message , Arfa Daily writes

She's going Daaaaaahn ...

I presume you're talking about the dunstable - Luton (junc 11-9) area

I've never seen a flash from those gantry cameras... until today when I was going past in a northerly direction. LOTS of vehicles got flashed in the southerly direction.

I think you can get multiple offences to be "taken into consideration", but I'm not certain

Reply to
geoff

In message , Graham. writes

He's not talking about SPECS, that stretch now has variable speed controls on it

Reply to
geoff

In message , tony sayer writes

Every third gantry in places

Hydroponic growing lamps perhaps, yes, that's it

Reply to
geoff

Pills, dense - take your pills

Reply to
geoff

I think you'll find the cameras only operate when the variable speed limit is in operation, since that's their declared purpose

Reply to
geoff

In message , Arfa Daily writes

SPECS cameras work in pairs on one lane IIRC - they shouldn't detect you if you move from one lane to another BICBW !

Of course, that doesn't mean to say that they don't interleave pairs of cameras

Those on the northern section of the M25 ATM seem to be pretty tolerant

Reply to
geoff

They do now. Earlier ones weren't certified for it, but newer ones are.

The temporary ones at roadworks scan all lanes using one camera anyway.

Reply to
John Williamson

writes

Your wrong on that, as were the newspapers that made the same claim. There was a technical problem with early implementations of SPECS that meant that a driver changing lanes at some locations (usually at a point where coned sections diverged) would not be detected. That was fixed a long time ago.

Reply to
Steve Firth

geoff wrote: [snip]

I know that you will find that your statement is incorrect. The cameras also function when VSL is not in operation. Finding out what limit the cameras are set for is difficult, but I have seen cameras flashing drivers exceeding 100mph in areas where VSL gantries exist but were not in operation. Also I used to work at the HA and was involved in planning the first controlled motorways in England do I know that the cameras were specced to be active 24/7.

Reply to
Steve Firth

On 11/05/2013 00:55, geoff wrote: ...

An outdated myth. The latest average speed cameras can link up to 1,000 different cameras and work out your average speed between any of them anywhere in the country.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

The world has changed since the 1950s. "Speed cameras" became "safety cameras" and were coloured yellow, motorway gantry cameras in VSL zones are there to enforce the posted speed

I would say I have significantly more recent experience of the M25 north and west of london and the lower end of the M1 than you

Reply to
geoff

In message , Arfa Daily writes

It certainly made me check my speed on the return journey

I saw flashes from three gantries

Reply to
geoff

At least your car will do more than 35mph and will get up that hill without the radiator boiling over.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The important word you are missing out or not understanding is "controlled". I didn't design the first motorways in England, I worked on the design if the first *controlled* motorways in England. ie The first motorways to use variable speed limits with enforcement using cameras linked to the mandatory (red ring) indicators.

For the avoidance of doubt these were the M25 scheme and the M42.

See above, you really don't.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Use them both on a daily basis do you ragazzo ?

Reply to
geoff