Re: Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

And those "driving gloves" with a hole in the back.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

But it's good when he trips himself up. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

useful as one tends to look like a policeman from a distance, amongst other things

The "boot" in my car *is* accessible from the car.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

useful as one tends to look like a policeman from a distance, amongst other things

True, and if you place the jacket around the seat backrest it looks like the car is occupied. I am sure this deters vandalism when parked.

Reply to
djc

And don't forget the yellow tinted goggles...

Reply to
John Rumm

"Arfa Daily" wrote: [snip]

That's sort of the approach taken on the M42, but only when hard shoulder running is in operation. Since that's during peak traffic periods it works pretty much as you suggest, but is occasionally bolloxed by drivers who swerve from the outside lane to the hard shoulder then back again.

Reply to
Steve Firth

So which one is that?

Reply to
dennis

No they don't. The centre line disappears but the road continues at the same width until it has joined.

Same again.

Guess what, the same again.

I don't think i will bother with the rest.

Reply to
dennis

Well at least you know that there are two lanes that merge with the motorway.

Reply to
dennis

Now you are starting to understand something about motorways except you think it only involves two. try driving on the M6 and see how many it involves.

So yet again you want people to stop at the end of the slip road and endanger other road users. It would be the only way to give way if the person on the right decides he is going to be on your right all the way down the slip road. As any police patrol will tell you, if you are stopped at the side of the carriageway you use the hard shoulder to accelerate to a safe speed to merge. Nothing you say will change this simple fact.

There are plenty of places the traffic warrants one but there isn't anywhere to put one.

Reply to
dennis

Ah, the well-known Paddy Hopkirk racing gloves. As seen by me and a couple of girls in 1974. This bloke put them on when giving us a lift in his 1950s Saab. The girls decided he was a lunatic.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I don't see the difference. If you're staying on, you have to merge left. So someone's merging, it just looks a bit different.

I lived there 12 years and found their roads and signage, in general, to be rubbish.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Nope. A two lane urban merge is two lanes along the slip road, which merge before joining the motorway as a single lane. Like most of the images I posted elsewhere.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

As I have said before, you really need to learn how to drive on motorways. Where the lane dividing line ends, it becomes a single lane road and traffic approaching in two lanes are supposed to merge as that happens, then join the motorway from a single lane. If the intention were for the two lanes to continue to the motorway, the DfT design rules for grade separated junctions would require the line to continue, then turn into a ghost island, turning the two lanes into two separate merging tapers.

Understandable, as none of them are what you claim them to be.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

I have, many times. I would say the M25 is worse and I have never had a problem with that, even in the rush hour.

You appear to be obsessed with the idea of stopping at the end of a slip road. Only the most incompetent should ever put themselves in a position where they are faced with that choice. You should have sorted things out before even reaching the main carriageway.

You really don't know how to drive do you?

Being stopped on the hard shoulder for a genuine emergency is not the same as getting yourself into a stupid position on a slip road and using the hard shoulder because you can't manage merging traffic.

You have the numbers to support that claim do you? The Highways Agency will have the traffic flows to support the types of junction in use.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Rubbish. You might think they do but that's not how they are used.

Reply to
dennis

Your the one obsessed with denying that it happens. i have seen it happen many times. I have even seen it happen on the real life police programs. The police are not very happy when it does and they tell the driver to drive along the hard shoulder until it is safe to do so. You live in a different world if you have never seen it happen. Or maybe you drive with your eyes closed?

Reply to
dennis

Well, it may be a big no-no, but I saw plenty of people doing it during the time I lived there. OTOH they tend to drive defensively, which is how they are taught.

They don't use international signage and there tend to be no repeaters. Driving from my house over to the theatre in Palo Alto the speed limit changed three or four times with not much to indicate this had happened. They also like the Stop sign, which you'll find scattered not just at junctions (they don't use the Give Way much), but along a road at a random point there'll be a Stop sign. For no good reason.

And when they say Stop, they mean Stop. Otherwise you get done. I concluded that they are keen on you becoming an administrative criminal as you travel from A to B, so they can fine you. As opposed to here, where everything appears to be oriented around getting you from A to B safely and with a minimum of hassle (why we use Give Ways instead of Stop signs).

I won't bother you on this occasion with my rant about freeway exits.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Tim Streater :

OTOH in many parts of the US states you are permitted to turn right at a red light, after stopping.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

That is how the DfT designs them to be used. However, while the designers do their best, there will always be bad drivers who manage to do something wrong.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar