Re: Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

your advice.

Do you actually drive?

Reply to
dennis

So just exactly when do you decide the gap is OK to move into? What do you do when the guy in L2 pulls over just as you are joining? Maybe you never join a motorway when there is traffic in more than one lane?

Reply to
dennis

Bloody hell he has finally got it right.

Reply to
dennis

Do you speed when towing?

Reply to
dennis

How does that not fit in with being in a crush zone?

On motorways the police are supposed to stop behind the car, they are supposed to protect the person. Not that they would stop anyone on the motorway these days unless they were a hazard.

Reply to
dennis

I'll second that.

I provided my parents with a couple of hi-viz vests to keep in their cars after passing someone changing a tyre on the A64 in the dark.

Reply to
ARW

Lack of ability to do so noted.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I have been travelling on motorways since the M1 was first opened. In all that time, I have never had any problem in merging safely and seamlessly into the traffic on the motorway and have never needed the full length of a slip road to do so. That includes using the M25 in the rush hour and vehicles as diverse as a diesel Land Rover that might reach 60 by next Friday to a 5 litre V8 vehicle that would take me from

0-60 in 6 seconds. If you do not have the spatial awareness that allows you to understand the dynamics of moving traffic and to do the same, you really should not be driving.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Do you often find yourself in the position where a LGV has failed to see you and pulls over from lane 2 into lane 1 just as you want to join it? If so, you really need to review your driving skills. It is certainly not a justification for your claim that using the hard shoulder to merge from a slip road is the right thing to do.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

So now you say you obstruct other vehicles in L2 of the slip road in order to get into the gap they were going into?

You do know there are two lanes on most slip roads?

Reply to
dennis

I think you missed the post where I stated it has happened once.

There was the second occasion where a 38 ton artic did decide to pull in while still passing me. Yes I did drive on the hard shoulder for about

40 yards and I would advise anyone else in the same situation to do the same unless they are driving a tank.

Oh and lorries quite often break the speed limit and pass cars towing trailers that used to be limited to 50 mph, not so many now the limit is 60.

Reply to
dennis

How many slip roads have two lanes? How many slip roads have one lane? How many slip roads have any other number of lanes?

What proportion is "most"? I guess > 50%. Let us see.

It appears to me that quite a number of slip roads which were built to physically handle two lanes have now been marked up to handle only one. Quite often they have two lanes at the start but only a single lane well before the main carriageway. Whereas once I might have believed your assertion, I am not in the least convinced it is true. Evidence please.

Reply to
polygonum

Translate: Dennis was so incensed by being overtaken by a lorry he accelerated and kept pace with it for 15 miles: finally in desperation the lorry forced the c*ut onto the hard shoulder.

But lorries are allowed to do 56mph dennis.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Legally, they are allowed to do 60mph on a motorway. They are also required to have a road speed limiter fitted, set to 85kph, plus or minus 5kph, which must be kept in working order. So 60mph downhill, with the engine shut down by the limiter is possible, legal and common.

In a similar way, the speed limit for a coach is 70mph, and the limiter must be set at no higher than 100kph, but it is legal to let the speed rise to 70mph on downhill stretches with the engine shut off by the limiter.

Reply to
John Williamson

"dennis@home" wrote: [snip]

the motorway.

Uh huh. What would you know denbhoi?

Who said they stop the car to check the VIN? However once they have stopped a car they can and do check the VIN if they have cause to do so.

And cars are stopped regularly onthe motorway. As you would know if you ever drove on one.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Why thank you dennis.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well M6 j1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.... M5 j1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8.....

Which ones don't would be easier.

Reply to
dennis

Mandatory in France.

Reply to
djc

I would ask how you arrive at that bizarre conclusion from what I wrote, but it would probably start you off on another weird tangent. Perhaps you simply don't understand what merging safely and seamlessly implies.

I can't think of any where either lane 1 and lane 2 are separated by a double white line before meeting the main carriageway, effectively creating two separate slip roads,

or lane 1 turns into an extra lane on the main carriageway, meaning that only lane 2 has to merge,

or the lanes merge into a single lane before joining the main carriageway.

This is probably something to do with the DfT issuing official standards for road layouts which are designed to avoid traffic conflicts.

I presume you must always use lane 1 for the first two of those, as there is no hard shoulder to run off onto from lane 2 if you fail to judge the traffic properly.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Oddly enough, I don't read every word you write. However, it does show that you need to review your driving skills if you did not anticipate it happening.

Does that mean you are a caravanner? It usually seems to be caravans that hold up LGVs.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar