Re: Bit O.T. Speeding ... ?

Remember having to learn big chunks of Roadcraft for the written parts of a driving test about 35 years ago and instructor asking "why are you indicating to the animals in the fields?" Before rapping my mate across the knuckles with a ruler.

Reply to
mully

Ooh, a *patronising* arsewipe.

Given that you don't understand what "Give Way" means, perhaps you can explain why I should pay any attention to you?

On second thoughts, don't bother.

Reply to
Huge

Well obviously. Thass not what we're discussing. AFAIK, we're talking about, f'rinstance, should the klod come to a halt at the end of the slip-road or should he run into the hard shoulder and then into L1 ASAP, or do something else. Remember, because *someone* *else* moved into the slot in L1 he'd planned to shimmy into, he's now stuffed and out of slip-road.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So your answer is that you may need to come to a halt.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Errm yes. A few times (less than a handful) of times when in L1 I've had people on the slip road expecting me to move over and bumper-car the L2 traffic into L3, rather than slow down and enter behind me. Their reaction has been to roar into L1 (behind me), then scream past in L2 and cut me up into L1.

Reply to
Tim Streater

So when someone pulls into the gap you have so carefully planned for you just shove them over.

So you just shove in regardless of there being space for you.

Why don't you ask him, he can explain how to drive so you have a better understanding and reduce the risk to serving officers.

Reply to
dennis

Go on then post the details so we can see what actually happened.

There are more deaths caused by tossers like you pulling out into high speed traffic without using the hard shoulder as an acceleration lane.

Reply to
dennis

Which junction and what traffic in what car and weather, etc.? Its not possible to decide without knowing these things.

Reply to
dennis

What happened to the training about avoiding crush zones when stopped on the hard shoulder?

Reply to
dennis

Still waiting...

Reply to
Man at B&Q

So which motorway is that then? You can post a google maps link when you decide to tell us.

Reply to
dennis

It does, and you frequently see drivers sitting there trying to get into a gap. They quite often get impatient and pull out anyway.

At least where they do has a 40/50 mph limit which limits the damage to about 50% of what it could be.

Reply to
dennis

And so he should. Its completely different to what is being discussed so stop changing the subject to something irrelevant unless you want a new thread.

Reply to
dennis

All of which are motorways merging and not slip roads at all.

I think that anyone with a hint of knowledge would know that to be true of everyone on the planet. There isn't a person alive that knows a significant fraction of human knowledge. But it looks like you don't know that.

Reply to
dennis

That's a VERY subtle distinction, to the point of utter irrelevance.

Merging traffic is joining L1 without your backup plan of a hard shoulder.

Unless, of course, you'd care to explain WHY it's so very different?

Reply to
Adrian

Its good observation that leads to that, he has seen the other driver pull into the space he was going to use and reacted to avoid a collision. if he hadn't been observant there would have been a crash and then the carriageway and the hard shoulder would be blocked. this is far more dangerous to everyone, including the police/highways agency, than to have used the hard shoulder to avoid the crash.

I assume that if the 44 ton artic passing you in L2 decides to pull in before he has passed you then you just let him kill you rather than commit the offence of driving on the hard shoulder. You really don't want to get 3 points and a £60 fine as its not a listed emergency.

Reply to
dennis

You stop at the end of a motorway slip road when the traffic on the motorway is doing 60 mph and see what the nice friendly policeman thinks of your advice.

Reply to
dennis

Definitely not a 44 tonner, but might be all right if it's only 38 tons.

Reply to
polygonum

What crush zone?

From the description he was standing at the back of a stationary vehicle.

Last time I stopped on a hard shoulder (blowout in a rental van) my wife got quite upset when I insisted on walking 100ds against the traffic flow, then climbing over the barrier to wait for the breakdown. They're nasty dangerous places.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Have they upgraded the A456, which is what joins the M5 at Junction 3, to a motorway since I was there last week, then? Even if you are counting wrong, the nearest motorway to jnction 3 that joins the M5 is the M42, which joins at junction 4a. Junction 4 is the A38, which is also not a motorway. Incidentally, J4 has no hard shoulder between the exit and entry slips in both directions, as when the motorway there was upgraded from 2 to 3 lanes, there was no room for a hard shoulder without replacing the bridges.

Have they changed the junction numbering for the West Bromwich turnoff at the M5 Junction 1, as well, and not told me or changed the signs? The junction with the M6 is *not* junction 1 of the M5. However, in the rush hour and at other busy times, the M6 northbound entry at junction 8 has no hard shoulder until after junction 9, as the hard shoulder is used as an extra running lane.

The M60/M602 (M602 J1 and M60 J11, they're the same place) junction is a complex one, but there are slip roads on it, albeit ones leading off the other motorway, which do not have a hard shoulder which forms a continuation of the entry lane.

Reply to
John Williamson