Three lane roads ....

Is that the same webcam? This doesn't look as sharp as previous vids you've posted of being out on the road.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

distance:-)

Pretty much on the 2 second rule, so a good distance. Tendancy to lane change on round abouts though. B-)

95 +/- 5 mph

Possibly faster. At the end of the wayback video just after passing the little red car you take about 8 seconds to travel the 1/4 mile between the white squares which works out at 112... I didn't think vans went that fast. B-)

Even if you took 9 seconds that's still 100 mph, 10 s = 90 mph. Way over the national 60 limit, assuming it's not 40 like some of it is.

Haven't plod used such videos to do people in the past?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Assuming the white lines are of the regulation length and gap, at a speed which means more than 3 points and so militates for you taking that video off Youtube just in case the courts now accept them as good enough evidence :(

Reply to
Robin

Without showing the speedo, they'd have to show that the video hadn't been altered to speed it up though.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Looked more like about 160mph to me, but there wasn't much action going on so I watched both vids at 2x speed.

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

taking

It has a burnt in time display at 1 second intervals. Pick two points in the video a reasonable time apart 10 to 20 seconds, choose points when the seconds digit changes to avoid argument over frame rate (25 v 30 v 60 fps). Go out and measure the distance, you know the time taken to cover that distance, thence the average speed.

Not as water tight as an in shot speedo and a lot of hassle to measure the distance. How ever at the end of the wayback video Adam takes about 8 seconds to go between the pairs of white boxes a measured 1/4 mile(*) apart, that's 112, at 9 seconds it's still 100. Some what more than the national 60 limit and he's catching up the dark car in front quite quick just as the video ends.

(*) I think, even if 400 m apart thats 437 yards against the 440 yards of a 1/4 mile.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Would indeed need some forensic analysis but bear in mind they start with video the /accused/ has volunteered. And it's been done. Eg from

2016:

"A man received a nine-month suspended jail sentence after posting footage online of him driving at speeds in excess of 100mph on roads in North Wales and Cheshire.

At Chester Crown Court Frederick Randles was also ordered to carry out

250 hours of unpaid work, disqualified from driving for 18 months and ordered to pay costs of £2000.

North Wales Police and Go Safe discovered seven videos on the internet of him driving his Arial Atom at high speed, near to Lake Brenig and Nant-Y-Garth in North Wales and in and around Chester, in Cheshire."

Robin

And they changed the law *years* ago to allow an average speed to be used as evidence, rather than the previous instantaneous check.

Something a lot of drivers that rushed past me doing 20 yesterday (because it was a 20 zone) will find to their surprise when the NIPs drop through their letterbox when phase *2* of "let's slow Brum down" goes live and they switch on the cameras they are currently putting up ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Must have been a very long time ago as VASCAR is averge speed not instantaneous check.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave Liquorice explained :

Nowt much wrong with that, providing it was deliberate. Deliberate as in he checked there were no vehicle in or wishing to use the right hand lane. That would be my own line through that roundabout, if there was no one behind me - it saves fuel, speed and tyre wear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

What part of "years ago" contradicts that :)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I'm surprised there was any need to /change/ the law. AFAIK observation by 2 constables has sufficed since the 1930s. (And I don't know of any constable who has radar/laser vision.) Indeed, is there any legislation that deals with how speed can and can't be evidenced?

Reply to
Robin

But such observation would presumably be based around a single instance - hence an instantaneous speed.

I'm pretty certain they had to amend the law to allow for the calculation of an average speed. Especially in cases where the vehicle was *not* under constant surveillance during the period.

Maybe one for the legal bods.

Either way, 20mph zones are springing up everywhere, and your speed will be averaged so that if you enter one - via the many possible roads - and leave one (again by the many possible roads) such that you *must* have exceeded 20mph, then you my friend, can look forward to an NIP.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I remain unclear how a human being, by unaided observation, can arrive at "instantaneous speed".

Depends what you mean by a "legal bod". It seems to me a question which requires only the merest acquaintance with statutory construction.

What I suspect you may be recalling is the way that legislation was needed to allow more than simple radar guns. s.20 Road Traffic Offender Act 1988 (Speeding offences etc: admissibility of certain evidence) was amended by s.23 Road Traffic Act 1991 (Speeding offences etc: admissibility of certain evidence) to allow - among other things - certain means of /measuring/ speed which involve averages rather than just radar readings - as in VASCAR. And that remains the

What that did /not/ do is allow average speed to be used where it couldn't be used before by other means - eg a constable timing a vehicle between 2 fixed points a known distance apart.

You can of course continue to argue that there is some other bit of legislation that provides for average speed cameras. I don't intend to try to prove a negative.

I do rather take exception to the implication that I'm stupid enough to be caught by such cameras.

Reply to
Robin

In article <qf88q8$58j$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Harry Bloomfield snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAM.tiscali.co.uk> writes

Correct. What the solid line tells you is that you must not go right across to the third lane.

Dense is a remainer. He doesn't understand because he doesn't want to understand..

Reply to
bert

It's not a big deal :)

No implication implied :) If you do get caught, it's because you will have exceeded the speed limit and that will be that.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Indeed. I can assure you that the road behind me was empty,

Although the Passat driver looked like he was going to cross into my lane.

Reply to
ARW

Absolutely fine then. Its all about good observation all around you.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

No. Work decided to get everyone a dashcam after the red van got rear ended so my dash cam is in the gfs car.

Reply to
ARW

ARW laid this down on his screen :

Well, what speed were you doing in that clip?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield