Lesson for today

If you are stripping paint using a blowtorch and some of the paint may fall still on fire then using one of those loosely woven cotton dust sheets to catch the debris isn't too good an idea. The flake of flaming paint will make a hole in the dust sheet and then the dustsheet acts as tinder as the hole get larger and larger by the minute with all the edges glowing red, and with it difficult to put out.

As luck would have it this was outdoors and I was attempting to stop all the small paint flakes falling on a flower bead and contaminating the soil. I was removing 6 layers of stone paint that required a fairly fierce flame in order to shift a strip of more than a couple of cm.

Reply to
alan_m

Also, don't use a domestic vacuum cleaner to suck up spilled petrol.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Industrial one okay then? ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Three phase, with a conductive hose.

O/K for explosives

Looked a bit silly though, it was about five times the size of a Henry.

AB

AB

It worked for explosives without any problems.

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

Or vomit, as you will never stop the bag smelling.

I didn't, but I know someone who did.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I know someone who slipped in someone elses vomit and got covered in it, at an Arthur Brown concert, whilst tripping on LSD.

I hope the visual appearance was more appealing...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It depends how fresh the diced carrots are.

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

An electric hot air gun is the modern way. But you knew that. TW

Reply to
TimW

Yes another lesson my late father learned is that when cleaning up after a bonfire, despite having poured a bucket of water over the left overs, do not shovel them into a plastic dustbin or wheelie bin and place it up against a wooden fence belonging to next door. I'm sure you can guess what happened about 9pm at night and Firemens boots are filthy as well. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Preferably one not owned by yourself I'd imagine.

Its te vapour. I'd imagine if it had a brushless motor it would work fine.

Do not leave the top off a bottle of acetone in a small room then go in there and attempt to decant some. You will pass out.

Then there was the bloke who used a rather old electric drill near to evaporating petrol, kerboom.

Another thing to avoid is fine sawdust or flour in the air.

I also recall getting my first Slot racing car system made by Airfix in which you could motorise their plastic models as well. The problem was this became so popular third parties started to do the same me, but with more powerful motors. I used to wedge the controller,. a flimsy plunger operated brass slider on a wirewound resistor, so the cars simply cruised around. One day black smoke since the piece of foam I'd wedged the controller in and the controller caught fire under the abnormal load. We upgraded to more beefed up controllers from MRRC. It took weeks to get the stench of burned polystyrene out of the house. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think the most terminally sick vacuum I saw was one from an office where somebody had spilled photocopier toner powder on the floor. to say it was gummed up was an understatement. The motor was almost melted into a solid blob of toner. So much for filters.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Is this why the council use blowers and not suckers in the streets these days? a leaf vacuum smelling of dog shit is probably not very desirable. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

After a cocktail session, I took a friend back to his place and left him at the bottom of the stairs, I wasnt; going to risk carrying him up. Next day he phoned me to say he woke late afternoon at the top of the stairs in a pool of cat sick. "The smell was well rank!" were his words.

It took me quite a while to stop laughing, it was weeks before he saw the funny side of it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Yes but does it actually work on those stubborn patches. Before anyone says anything. I'd not even use a blowtorch these days for obvious reasons. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The problem with suckers is you eventually have to empty the bag, with a blower they just blow the leaves etc out of the way.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I don't know. I haven't witnessed that one.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright