Impact Driver for hole sawing?

I've been seeing these pushed more and more for driving lag bolts and long fasteners into decking and framing material. Anyone here use them for hole sawing or drilling?

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I have a Makita 6216 impact driver that I love. It's ideal for driving fasteners into hard or difficult materials. Mine came with an accessory chuck that will let me mount a drill bit and I have on a few occasions. In general I found that I had too little control to operate a drill bit properly. The driver kicks in at inopportune moments on occasion.

RB

Jay Pique wrote:

Reply to
RB

I use my Makita with those hex-shank drill/chamfer combos. It works great. The impact mechanism doesn't turn on when drilling and chamfering because the hole is small. I would not try a larger drill bit or a hole saw. Besides, can you really get large bits and hole saws with hex shanks? In my opinion, this is an example of using the wrong tool for the job.

Reply to
AL

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Used a Dewalt impact driver with a hole saw last week: a. the chuck will grab round bits. b. the arbor for the hole saws is hex c. impact feature didn't engage at all

One experience, fwiw.

rhg

AL wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

Robert Galloway wrote

So it worked pretty well then? I'm just trying to see if I can double up capabilities on certain tools to (help) lower potential start-up costs for my own shop. Thanks.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique