That's annoying!

I'm pretty sure that the systems used are perfectly capable of overlaying two separate video layers and the the signer could be on a layer that can simply be turned off.

We have watched late night, second showings of something we have missed and found it to be a signed version. We have had to resort to hanging a tee-towel over part of the screen, because it is so distracting.

Reply to
SteveW

That would require a new specification of the system, and everyone to buy new kit, or perhaps only those who want signing, depending on the system.

Reply to
Max Demian

Yup our lounge is under the master bedroom - I have long since learnt that running the full surround sound rig late at night is not met with the kind of appreciation that one might have expected if she has retired before me :-)

(One of the downsides of having my own PABX and the ability to dial one room from another, it is all too easy to make ones objections clear!)

On the plus side, my LG TV talks nicely to my Sony Sony WH-CH700N Bluetooth headphones, and does a pretty credible job of reproduction.

Reply to
John Rumm

I have exactly the same problem!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I'm sure that I read about multiple layers being possible on the existing system, from the start. If so, it would only require a minor software update to be able to switch a layer on or off.

If it is not currently possible, it should certainly be added to the specification for future systems.

Reply to
SteveW

That can be done by mobile too!

Reply to
Fredxx

our lounge is also directly underneath the master bedroom. When I renovated the house, I put 8 inches of fibreglass between all of the ground floor ceilings and upstairs floorboards....

Some of us work night shifts so that is also helpfula s well as supporting our multizone heating system.

Just *how* *big* is your house? :-)

We in the family just use our mobile phones as we have unlimited minutes and unlimited texts, plus there is Skype, Signal & WhatsApp over Wifi (to avoid eating into data allowance.)

Reply to
SH

Strowger I hope.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Err, no, multiple video levels are not in any DVB spec.

Reply to
Mark Carver

That would be "better" - if I am watching late night TV, then the mobile will be well out of earshot in my office :-)

Reply to
John Rumm

:-)

Na, your finest chinesium electronic 4x16

Reply to
John Rumm

Same here. I hate being encumbered, so the mobile is not surgically attached.

Wathing late night TV, I simply pick up the tablet I keep by my chair, and use the VoIP app.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And "minor software update" would be achieved how? Do they even send them out via DVB any more.

Reply to
Max Demian

Most boxes and TVs are also internet connected.

Reply to
SteveW

I have enough of a clue to have just the mobile now.

I get real radical and use the mobile that I keep by my chair when I am not out and about and have it next to the bed at night with do not disturb turned on in case I have a major medical incident or someone trys to invade the house.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Neither of my PVRs are. I don't know whether there would be any point. My TV used to be at my old place, where it was near the router, but it was always scary to watch it update with all the flashing lights, in case the update failed, leading to it being bricked (or rather "slabbed").

Reply to
Max Demian

I disconnected my BT box after an unplanned recorded films clearout.

The LG TV had a software upgrade yesterday. Took about 10 minutes and appeared stuck at 99%. I haven't been back to see if it installed after switch off.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A connected PVR can do stuff like catch-up TV which a TV no longer does (or never did).

Reply to
Robin

That seems to be a feature of a lot of over the air or internet updates. A progress bar or percentage complete indicator will appear but then stick at some random place for a long period. It gives tne user a warm feeling that something has gone wrong.

Reply to
alan_m

I *think* mine does it over the internet, but its still a POS. Sam Dung by name, Sam Dung by nature. I am so sick of TV sets that do not keep up, that I have pretty much decided as time allows to make them all simply HDMI screens for very small computers. Because those are a lot better and turning web content into HDMI than the TVs are, and I have a centralised server available via a web broswer for off-air TV content.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher