That's annoying!

Now happily recording daytime TV film offerings for evening watching using my BT set top box.

Recently some films have acquired an annoying *voice over* explaining trivial actor movements during non speech scenes.

The most recent is *The Way West* where the *voice over* sound level makes the film unviewable:-(

My TV has poor speaker output quality so I use Blue Tooth and wear a Bose headset. (second hand so I don't have a supplied manual).

Any ideas?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I'm afraid it's operator error. At some point, you have switched on Audio Descriptions. It will be on the menu somewhere, probably near subtitles.

Reply to
GB

Sounds like you're using the audio-described sound track, instead of the normal one ... look under audio settings.

Reply to
Andy Burns

It might even have a dedicated button, marked AD. I agree that it can be very annoying if you don't want/need it.

Reply to
Davey

Audio description

There will be setting for either an audio description or normal soundtrack on your TV or set top box (STB). On my STB the selection of audio description is not necessarily in the settings menu but when pressing an "audio" button on the remote when watching a channel. I am then given the option to select AD or Narration as the audio source. The setting may be in subtitles for your box or TV as it is broadcast an aid for those with limited or no sight.

Not all channels will have AD. Annoyingly on some STB the selection for the audio track has to changed for every individual channel and not just a universal on/off for all channels.

Reply to
alan_m

Ah! Operator error is expected:-) Just the knowledge of where to look. The BT box came to me second hand so I don't have a full set of instructions. Audio descriptions! What will they think of next. Do blind people watch films? Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

In message <u641ck$2lc5k$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me, Davey snipped-for-privacy@example.invalid writes

Ah! Yes. Bottom left.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ok Andy. Problem solved. Inadvertent AD button press.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Ah! AD button found upthread. Thanks for the further insight on the actual operation.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

The staggering thing is that subtitles have been available for decades, but they still employ gurning cretins to ruin the viewing experience for deaf people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

What's the model number?

Reply to
Robin

Have you tried using OCR software? Plenty of free ones on the interweb.

Reply to
Andy Bennett

T2100. I have copied the user guide from the BTTV site.

Now I know what AD means, I found the blurb on page 12.

All good now:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

er? Wrong button issue. Fully covered upthread.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I think that is a wrong thread response. It would suit the one immediately before this one on my reader.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I know some with perfect sight who use it as they can listen to a film while buzzing around the house with a set of headphones on. Its only annoying if you don't want it for something. There is now a trend for all movies to be made including it and in some cases the action etc, is adapted to allow it to be fitted in. Its only really what used to happen in radio plays and often you don't really notice. Of cours back in the early days of TV, many series, such as No Hiding Place or even early saint episodes had enough dialogue in them to explain the action anyway, as many of the writers cut their teeth in radio drama. Now its the opposite, Most adverts never voice what they are selling or say call the on screen number now. Some adverts do come with audio description on some channels, I've seen it on Virgin, Some BT ones most stuff made by Proctor and Gamble, some Waitrose ones and some others. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Sounds like you have audio description turned on... (my mother manages to hit that button on her tv remote from time to time - she never notices, but it winds up everyone else who can overhear her TV!)

Reply to
John Rumm

Not sure how that's going to help.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well AD is a life saver to us, surely you can turn it off if not wanted unless your software is a bit faulty, ahem. You should be able to also adjust ducking and level. Even my old freeview Goodman's box could do that, though it was rather buried in the settings. Be interested if you see captions or sign language inserts as there appeared to be flags for those back at the start of Freeview, but things have moved on. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed! I have considered a *sound bar* for my LG TV but my wife sleeps directly above so late viewing would be resisted:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb