Well that's annoying

Without much thought, I used a 110mm *P trap* to connect our kitchen/dish washer waste to the soil system.

Three years later I happened to notice it was overflowing and totally plugged with congealed fatty muck. Not easy to clean and I now wonder if a bottle type trap would perform any better?

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wonder if 110mm is simply too big and the flow therefore too slow to ensure that most of the crud gets washed away. We have 40mm S-traps for washing machine and dishwasher and have had no problem with them in 30 years.

Reply to
SteveW

But you may not put much fatty muck down yours.

Reply to
farter

A bit busy in our undersink cupboard. 40mm trapped pipe collecting the flexible pipe from the dishwasher, overflow from the Quooker as well as sink waste. There was a similar system at the farmhouse and no trouble in 25 years! I suppose it could be done with a short stack and air admittance valve but this is all directly below the kitchen window.

Current thinking is a note to *check drain* on the calendar.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I wondered about 3d printing a drain filter. Maybe it could trap a relatively large area of cloth to filter debris out, and be unclipped for easy re-clothing. Easier/cheaper than blocked drains.

Reply to
Animal

Makes more sense to not put congealed fatty much into the sink in the first place.

Tip it into an empty metal food can and toss that in the bin when its full.

Reply to
chop

No extra cost currently. I don't get paid for my labour unless you count regular meals:-) I'll keep an eye on it during the Summer and do a proper inspection before the frosts. I did wonder if the prolonged cold spell had an impact but far too much crud for 7 days frost.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

It'd block on the first rinsing of plates in the sink or washing of them in the dishwasher. There is a considerable amount of solids going down the waste pipes.

Reply to
SteveW