do i need a P trap for bathtub drain

I had a new bathtub replacement , it is against rotten wood, and I was told the smell was because I need a P trap in the tub drain. It is connected with an pvc elbow type pipe under the pier and beam house . The smell is horrible and has affected many areas of life . I do not have leaks just a horrible smell. Is it because there is no P trap ?

Reply to
kelly