Skip not been collected

Is there a downturn in the building trade, because the skip company still hasn't picked up the skip after two weeks?

Two or three calls ought to be enough?

Reply to
GB

No it's normal. They won't collect it until they need it. Bill

Reply to
wrights...

It's much the same with scaffolding. Cheaper to leave it in place until its needed somewhere else. It cost more to dismantle it and transport it back to the yard just for storage.

Reply to
alan_m

If the yard was big enough, anyway.

Reply to
charles

There is a staffing issue, as many Eastern Europeans cannot get back into the country to work due to the beaurocracy that now exists since we left the EU. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes, I have had that happen to me.

Reply to
Davey

A neighbour of ours had a skip on their front lawn for approaching two years. When they phoned up to mention this, the firm claimed they’d forgotten about it. If I was the OP, I’d keep phoning…

Reply to
Spike

Beat me to it, why dismantle it, move it and store it when you can use dozens of houses as your storage facility.

Reply to
R D S

Then why did the same happen during the 40 years we were in the EEC/EU?

Reply to
alan_m

Indeed, it's been a on/off problem all my life getting skips removed. If they don't need it for another customer they have no motivation to collect it and pay to empty it.

Reply to
R D S

we were making a delivery to an office one day and I noticed a newish 7ft wooden trestle on the pavement outside along with other rubbish . I asked the proprietor what the story was They had repeatedly asked the decorators to remove it and finally told them if they didn't remove it they would throw it out. Told me to take it if I wanted it

Its the most useful thing I have,

Reply to
fred

Because Brian is talking out of his arse.

Others have highlighted the issue. I had a series of skips during construction of this house, The last one stayed for ages till they phoned up and asked for it back as they needed it. Every skip costs money to empty and money to move, and has to be stored if its not on site. Far easier to pick up skip, take to waste disposal place and straight on to next customer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

One skip company local to me actually takes the skips to their yard and sorts through the contents, separating wood, hardcore, metal etc. Presumably it must be cost effective to remove certain materials to reduce the amount they have to pay to put the rest in landfill.

Reply to
alan_m