LED kitchen lights / battens

Currently have two single 70 watt 6 foot fluoros on the kitchen ceiling. 4,000 Kelvin and apparent;y 6200 lumens each. Thinking of changing them for LED battens. Will two of these from Wickes:

be an adequate replacement in terms of light output? they are half the output, but I am lead to believe that LED battens have a directionalty which makes up for this, not sending light upwards, iirc.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of swap, or any recommendations for better light options?

TIA

David Paste.

Reply to
David Paste

I've only changed 4' fluo tubes for LEDs. Ecellent results.

Reply to
charles

Cheers! What about the relative brightness? Which LED make did you choose?

Reply to
David Paste

FWIW I recently, in our kitchen, replaced a Ceiling fitting with (IIRC) 2off 5ft Fluorescent tubes (T8? sorry, can't remember), with an LED *Panel* light - one of these:

which is 119 x 58cm, 4600lumens.

I paid (to my eyes) for more than a basic one; This has remote setting of brightness and colour temperature.

I've actually been really pleased with it. The ability to set both brightness and colour temperature is nice, and the lack of an inrush 'hum' on startup is also pleasing. Like you I was a bit concerned about the possible difference in output lumens (sorry, haven't got my figures to hand), but the effectiveness of the lighting has been at least as good.

My main reservations are the initial cost, and the non-replaceability of the panel, but in this case I decided it was worth it.

HTH, Jon N

Reply to
jkn

If the tubes are old, their light output will be down. My experience is they compare well. The eye sees light in logarithmic terms so if there is a 50% reduction in Lumens, it won't be seen as perceived 50% drop.

Reply to
Fredxx

Thanks Jon, that's a bit out of my league though.

Reply to
David Paste

This might be in your league:

or more output:

Fredxx

I recently changed a 4' 36W tube for:

Very similar light in both colour temp and brightness.

Reply to
John Rumm

that's about right. Tubes vary a fair bit in output.

I wouldn't buy those, they're just over 100lpw, and 200lpw LEDs are already on sale, and will be cheap soon. Better to use something that takes BC bulbs.

Reply to
Animal

I had no light meter, I just used my eyes. Make? Whatever TLC supplied me with.

Reply to
charles

I have a single Thorne 40w tube in the kitchen, and do not want to do much decoration. The tubes are the thicker kind with the bi pin either end, and am seriously considering LAED replacement of the tube, which seems to consist of a dummy starter and the led tube. I myself don't need light, but my PA and friends say the tube is well past its best now and is probably a waste of current, and the fitting buzzes. Would I be right in simply doing the swap? I'm assuming these lamps also come in a different range of whites do they?The original tube says warm white on it apparently. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I've bought these from CPC and am very happy with them:-

There's a whole range of lengths and colour temperatures.

Reply to
Chris Green

Instead of going for battens again, I suggest a couple of circular LCDs.

These ones are very unobtrusive, only 18w, and they give a very good light.

I replaced twin tube 4 ft fluorescents with those, and the LCDs seemed if anything brighter. TLC also do a 24w version, if you prefer.

Reply to
GB

Yes, I also fitted something like that elsewhere, when I was also doing the kitchen light. also happy with how it's turned out.

Reply to
jkn

Brian, replacing the tube would be the best bet, unless you have someone that can replace the whole fitting for something that looks nicer.

An old fat tube labelled warm white is likely to be halophosphate. These are less efficient & deteriorate faster than the later triphosphors. And warm white was one of the poorer performing tubes to begin with.

Hard to guess what wattage you'd need, anything LED should be a real improvement. Current will still go through the ballast, but less, so less likelihood of buzz.

Reply to
Animal

In message snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com, Animal snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

I've done this with several T8 pin tubes. Not seen a version for the older wide pin fitting.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

T8 & T12 have the same pins

Reply to
Animal

Then get an app on your phone.

They are surprisingly accurate when compared to proper calibrated lux meters.

The same applies to dB meters.

Reply to
ARW

Why should I bother?

I have that app.

Reply to
charles

Indeed. I was simply warning that very old fittings may not suit LED replacements. I have a barn with about 20 twins fitted:-(

Reply to
Tim Lamb