What size Skip

We have a large garage and the time has come to clear out the old paint tins, bits of wood, things we meant to take to the car boot, etc.

How big a skip do people recommend?

Reply to
John

On the two occasions I've hired one, with specific things to get rid of, I've always gone for the "maxi". Both times the loader struggled to lift it back onto the lorry, it's amazing what else you find to chuck in them, whether or not your neighbours have stuff to contribute.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Ooh, and they may balk at the paint.

Bury it deep.

Under the Asbestos.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

Being a sheddi, I've always found it very difficult indeed to chuck anything into a skip, just in case it might come in useful next week.

That's probably why I find it a real struggle to find somewhere to sit in the "living room". There's only _just_ enough room to squeeze from the hall to the kitchen/diner. Once you're in the dining bit there's a Marconi 2950/5 PMR test set taking pride of place

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ooh, I'd love one of those...

What is it?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Three times larger than you think you need.

Reply to
F Murtz

Measure the total volume of the garage and double it. B-)

Be aware that skips have different prices depending on what you are going to put in it. As has already been hinted the skip company might not allow things like paint and old garden chemicals etc.

Why not sort and take to your local "Household Recycling Center" aka dump? Assuming you have transport of course.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It's a Marconi.

:-)

Reply to
Frank Erskine

You might want to consider the Hippobag. Cheaper than a skip and collected promptly.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Though I've hired skips in the past, these days I tend to use a local chap-with-an-open-backed-lorry (actually a scrap metal dealer) who does rubbish removal as a sideline. He charges by (estimated) weight and hasn't (so far) refused to take anything at all: my garage-clear-out load included everything from old paint tins and similar to a broken computer monitor and a few bits of tatty furniture. He's much cheaper than even the smallest skip.

The only drawback is that you have to accumulate the rubbish, say on a drive, before he comes, rather than having the leisure to chuck stuff into a skip over a couple of days. But if you can manage that, I'd recommend this approach.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

In article , Andy Dingley scribeth thus

Shouldn't that be 2955 ?...

Reply to
tony sayer

I wonder which fly tip he uses... or do you get all the proper waste transfer documentation?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

He doesn't. He proved to my satisfaction that he's registered with the local council and totally legit.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

and the plasterboard.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Some places have paint donation schemes, where you can donate left- over paint to people moving into social housing etc.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I used one once, to remove the timber from an old shed. They have to be left wherethey can be collected from the curb, which meant that I had to empty mine and move it after I'd started putting stuff in it. It wasn't much cheaper than the skip I hired a few months ago.

Reply to
Peter Johnson

When I phoned for a skip recently, from a big company, I wan't asked what I was going to put in it. That might have been because I was a retail customer. I concluded that they assume the worse and charge accordingly, making more on the transaction if it turns out to be inert or re-cylclable stuff. It would save them having to deal with customers who lied about what they wanted it for. (My builder last year did pay less for inert waste than he did for mixed waste but I don't know what the difference was.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

I think that is largely true.

It would save them having to deal with

Yes, you can negotiate if you are sure that the stuff going in is kosher.

Adding to those who say 'big is better' I can only say 'yes' most houses have huge amounts of accumulated dross in them that can be added. And neighbours if asked to contribute minor sums will also find it beneficial.

Frankly every street should hire one every year.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Optomist

Colin Bignell