Skip bags

I've got some garden clearing work to do this weekend, digging out borders, digging post holes and wotnot. There is going to be more soil etc than I can practically take to the local dump in rubble sacks, and not enough to warrant a skip, so I was thinking of getting one of those big bags from B&Q that you fill up and then you call an number and it is taken away.

Has anyone used these before? If so, are they're any restrictions on weight or what sort of stuff they can take?

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yes, no and yes

I've used them several times for bathroom refurb jobs where I have lots of old tiles, pottery etc to get rid off. Very convenient for the amount they take, though no doubt much more expensive for large quantities than a 'real' skip.

They don't make a restriction on weight: if you can fill it they'll take it. There are restrictions on what stuff they'll take: check out

John Stumbles

They're much more expensive for small quantities too. That site says the smallest bag is a cubic yard (1 tonne) and costs £8 for the bag and £40 for collection? - I pay £40 for a mini skip that is 2 cu yds (2 tonne)

Reply to
Phil L

Yes they are dear but work well. And yes there is a weight limit. They usually point out that one full of concrete will attract a hefty supplementary charge.

Reply to
EricP

In other words, they're nothing more than a novelty...dearer than a skip, can hold less than a skip and they look like they would be a pain in the arse to try and tip or spade stuff into?

Reply to
Phil L

They are just one of those woven bags you get all sand etc in now. The only advantage is that they fit in minute suburban front gardens where a skip has to go in the road. A skip is far more economical.

Reply to
EricP

I've seen them, but didn't know until tonight how much they cost....I have thought about them myself when coming to the end of a big job (after the 8yd skip has long gone) and have half a dozen barrows of kak to get rid of, but always got a mini skip....I can't see that changing neither.

:-p

Reply to
Phil L

Is it topsoil you're getting shot of? If so, it's always in demand; you might well find someone will come and take it off your hands.

Reply to
Lobster

Yep. If good, £20-30 a ton.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Most people can find something "extra" they want to dispose of - if you get a mini-skip, for less money too, people are usually very grateful!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The message from John Stumbles contains these words:

responsibly. Email us for your free copy of our Duty of Care factsheet."

Bloody stupid - why not make it available on the site!

Reply to
Guy King

Freecycle?

PhilC

Reply to
PhilC

They do:

from the Benefits page.

David Hearn

Topsoil + grass that from digging up bits of lawn. Is that in demand too?

Reply to
Chris

The message from David Hearn contains these words:

You'd think a link from the "email us for a copy" would be better. I note it fails to specify what you can't put in the bags.

Reply to
Guy King

Absolutely.

Makes good lawn itself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , EricP writes

And a skip requires a chargeable Local Authority Licence.

Reply to
Mr X

Only if it goes on the road.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

In article , Chris Bacon writes

Yes, indeed -- I should have said that!

Thank you for the clarification.

Reply to
Mr X

Not necessarily. Our council doesn't charge, but two adjacent ones do.

Reply to
<me9