Price of a skip for rubble?

I've just had use of a mini-skip to remove some garden waste and fencing (£60 all in which I thought was reasonable), in conversation with the delivery man, he said he would no longer take rubble, soil or concrete waste, as it was not economical to do it. Maybe I got mixed up with the difference between mini-skips and full size,but it seems rather strange, as the majority of skips I see are full of rubble. I may be in need of a mini-skip to remove builders waste soon.

So,has anyone had the use of a skip recently for rubble and soil waste, and what did you pay? And what size skip - mini, medium or full size?

Thanks Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Generally he mini ones aren't worth it. I usually go for the 4.5 cubic metre ones.

Pricing is normally a little north of £100 depending on what can be negotiated.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Last time I needed one to do my drive (2 years ago) I had the idea that getting a 'we shift your rubbish' company might be cheaper. I rang one & spoke to a guy who used to be in the skip trade, he didn't want my job, but gave me the tip that skips are cheaper if you only fill them with either hardcore or soil.

Apparently if they contain general crap it costs the skip company to dump it, but hardcore or soil can be either disposed of free or even sold for re use. We have a concrete crushing plant a few miles away so maybe thats a local thing.

I had one just for hardcore/concrete and a week later another for soil. I got £20 (IIRC) off each by promising 'pure' contents.

Worth a try?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

================================== I think this is generally true because the firm I've used (4 medium in past 18 months) has a large area of their yard hived off as a sorting area and I was asked what I intended putting in the skips. It's quite labour intensive to sort a mixed load of general tat and good quality soil / hardcore.

Cost for medium was 45 GBP and the full size was quoted at 100 GBP - West Midlands.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Unles it has changed the landfill tax for rubble is a fraction of the figure for 'other' waste.

But I suspect, the problem is the waste will have to be checked to see if it really is rubble. This could cost the contractor more than the difference in the tax rate, so they don't bother and just offer skips for general waste charging the higher rate of tax.

Here are the figures for up to 2004

3.1

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Thats remarkably cheap, I'm in Leicester, and paid £60 for a mini.I was also quoted £75 for the same size from another firm. I know the council tip charges £61/tonne to dump there, and the skip driver also said he pays £60 a tonne to dump at a private site, so I dont know how they make any money at £45 for a medium size skip - with rubble in there, it'd easily be over a tonne. Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

It's non linear. The delivery and collection have to happen anyway, so the smaller skips end up with a loaded price. Besides, there ought to be a cost associated with transporting it to Loughborough, even thiough it would improve the place.

Reply to
Andy Hall

================================== Obviously there are regional variations and it depends on how much competition there is. Leicester is about 40 miles from here (Wolverhampton) and because of the nature of the business Wolverhampton prices don't affect Leicestershire prices either way. Wolverhampton seems to be swarming with skip lorries so I suppose the competition is quite strong.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

A.Lee used his keyboard to write :

I got a full size one a couple of months back and it cost me £110 all in. I priced up these, the mini and the prepaid 1m square rubbish bags. The bags were very expensive for their size. The mini skips were too were quite expensive at about 2/3 the cost of a full size skip.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Seems back to front. Mixed waste will be subject to land fill tax, whereas soil and clean hardcore is not.

I have not had one for clean hardcore, so have always ended up paying the mixed price. Six yard was about £130, 4 yard about £95, two yard probably about £70.

Reply to
John Rumm

If you have the space for a skip then maybe you have the space to put the debris on several old sheets of shuttering ply and have a grab lorry collect it. Plenty around that will do the job, especially if they need to make up a full load. Look out for one locally and ask the driver if he want's a breakfast or a nice drink ;-))

London prices are minimum of £200 for large skip.

Reply to
Maris

I'm outside Leicester and last year I paid =A3110 for a maxi (mixed=20 rubbish not clean hardcore)

Reply to
Andy Burns

Our local skippy is Ok with mixed loads so long as the general crap is on the top and can be seperated easily.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq
6 yard, mixed waste, Bristol (tomorrow) =A3130.
Reply to
Phil

I pay =A3150 for a man (and a dog) in a 10 tonne grab lorry to come. Saves me loading into a skip and (smaller) skip would be more like =A3200 anyway.

Ity's cost me more to have soil taken away from my garden than is has to to everything else in the project.

Reply to
adder1969