Cost of hiring a JCB

For interest only as I dont require one. I have just recently hired one in Turkey for 10 hours (including operator) and was wondering what that would have cost in the uk. I had to have a 3 x 3 x 3 meter hole dug out of almost solid rock to put in a septic tank.

Reply to
SS

Depends on the size, and also if you drive it yourself or want someone to do it for you. Our local equipment hire place does mini excavators starting at about £80 for a day - or about three times that for a week. You pay a bit more for larger ones.

Reply to
John Rumm

It was the normal size not a mini one and with someone to do it took 10 hours and cost £200 including taking the rubbish away.

Reply to
SS

You mean a wheeled machine?

I'd expect that to cost GBP180-250 for the machine ( travelling in your time) and driver and possibly a diesel surcharge for heavy digging. Even more on a proper site with requirement for risk assessment, method statement ans cpcs card.

Inert muck away will cost ~GBP25/tonne unless someone wants it.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

That's 27 cu m of rubbish. Around 5 large skips at umm £120 each?

Reply to
GB

Image of JCB doimg the work...

SS

AJH

Reply to
andrew

I've not filled a skip for years - a grab wagon takes 16m3 (3 skips worth) and charges me £160

Reply to
Phil L

Do you think that 27 cu m of excavated stuff would fit into two wagon loads? How much does it bulk up when excavated?

Reply to
GB

Allow from 1.2 to 1.6 times expansion usually depending on what sort of soil it is...

Reply to
John Rumm

A grab wagon won't dig ... so it all has to be loose & piled up for it to pick up.

You sure a grab wagon can take 32m3 ... seems a lot to me.

some other options to consider ... mini digger, will fill skips nicely, self drive and will dig it out as well as fill barrow or whatever.

for filling ... skip-loaders are useful ..... saves effort of barrowing up planks. I had SWMBO driving the skip loader, while I operated mini digger (3 tonne ver)

Reply to
Rick Hughes