disposing of bulky rubble

Hi,

We have just broken up a concrete driveway prior to paving it. We now have a great deal of rubble, mostly in large blocks (approx 20-30 square cm), and no idea how to get rid of it. It would fill a 10-yard skip easily. We were wondering if there is anywhere we can take it to be crushed, as it would then be useful as foundations for the paving stones.

Can anyone advise? We are in Southampton.

Thanks in advance,

Jo & Andy

Reply to
Jo

The cost of loading it, transporting it to be crushed (if there even is such a place nearby) and back again would probably outweigh the cost of just having some hardcore delivered. Crush it with a sledgehammer, use what you need and either get a skip for the remainder or take it to the local tip. My local tip is about 6 miles away on the way to Tescos so as long as I'm not making special journeys there I can treat it as basically a zero cost disposal exercise over a period of time while I also do the shopping. Otherwise it's about a third of a gallon per trip so maybe £1.50.

I have a bunch of those cheap plastic storage bins and with the back seats down I can get maybe 400 or 500 lbs of rubble in the car per load. That's sufficed to dispose of several rooms worth of old plaster and tiles and the bricks from a chimney breast. Several tons over the years no doubt. The cost of skips would have been into the hundreds of pounds if I'd done it that way.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Hire a grab to take it away for you and if you find the right contractor then they will also supply ready crushed hardcore. They bring the hardcore on their truck, drop it off, put the rubble onto the truck and drive away.

Simple! All you have to do is to give them some money :-)

Anna ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Try sita, the local office are helpful, failing that which side of town are you?

Niel, local to you.

Reply to
Badger

Find someone who needs it - ad in shop window, chat in local pub etc.

We traded a few tons of it to someone building a farm track, for 3 tons of horse manure.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Is coastal erosion a problem in your area?

Reply to
dp